"Over the hill" Beijing by CliffClaven
Beijing Travel Guide: 6,297 reviews and 15,872 photos
Imperial China was one of the first countries in the world to have an organised postal service, with a network of routes radiating from the capital throughout the country. It was a network which has always impressed old Cliffie, although he wouldn't like to be the Imperial Postman who had the delivery route along the Great Wall. Look at the photo, look at that climb!
Old Cliffie and his guide got out of the car in the valley and she pointed upwards: "Do you want to go over the hill?" Now, old Cliffie has long feared that he is probably already over the hill, but he wasn't going to admit it to his young guide, who was exceptionally attractive even by modern China's stunning standards. She set off and he followed her all the way to the top, where he tucked in his stomach and hoped to impress. But she merely grinned cheekily and said: "Wow, you are pretty fit, for a guy of your age." Gee, thanks - what happened to the traditional Chinese respect for their elders?
The Devil of Debauchery on old Cliffie's shoulder whispered into his ear and urged him to leer knowingly and say: "Hey, wanna try me, Moonflower, wanna see how fit I am!?" But the Angel of Conscience on the other shoulder whispered more sensible advice: "Come on, she's nearly 40 years younger than you – act your age, not your shoe size."
And so they left the Great Wall and chatted quietly about the traffic and the Olympics as they drove back to Beijing, where the only action old Cliffie got that evening was watching Chelsea beat Manchester United in an expat bar in Houhai.
For ten years the Hidden Tree was a well known watering hole in the Sanlitun embassy district of Beijing. But then the... more travel advice
There is not much of old Beijing left. The first impression a visitor gets as he races along the highway from the... more travel advice
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- Shangri-la Kerry Centre Hotel
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Home Inn Beijing Dongzhimen
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 19, 2013
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Beijing Heyuan International Youth Hostel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Wangfujing Grand Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
- Lee Garden Service Apartments
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2013
- Beijing Hongkun International Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 22, 2013
- Yanxiang Hotel Beijing
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Beijing Foreign Studies University Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Plaza Hotel Beijing
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Oriental Peace Hotel Beijing
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 29, 2012
- Nanjing Great Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2013
- Rosedale Hotel And Suites Beijing
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Beijing Guomen Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 19, 2012