"PIA - Panic In Air, Pray I Arrive" Pakistan by CliffClaven
Pakistan Travel Guide: 3,786 reviews and 8,350 photos
Old Cliffie was beginning to get just a bit apprehensive when he got to the third security check - in the galley on board the aircraft - when he first flew on Pakistan International Airlines. For a long forgotten reason, he was routed via Karachi on the way from Asia to Europe. After the usual cursory check by Indian security officials at Delhi airport, there was a second check at the foot of the stairs to the aircraft, and then a third and thorough check on board. They were going to make pretty sure that no one hijacked this flight.
While all the checks were reassuring in one sense, there was still the niggling question: Why? Had there been a specific threat against the airline? And it didn't help when during the flight the captain announced: Insh'Allah - if it pleases Allah - we shall be landing in ten minutes.
The apprehension was only subjective, of course - the flight went without hitch, and the cabin service was friendly and efficient - but old Cliffie was curiously relieved when he got off the plane in Karachi. Ten minutes later he was wishing he was back on board again, as the chaos that is Karachi began to swamp him.
There were four hours between flights, and you know: old Cliffie only just made it! For security reasons, luggage could not be checked through to the final destination. It had to be reclaimed, inspected, hauled several hundred metres to another terminal building and then checked in again. And that meant pushing through dozens of eager hands - and hundreds of light fingers? - offering help.
PIA advertise that they are 'Great people to fly with'. Just don't get off the plane in Karachi.
Rent a car! On second thoughts, perhaps not such a good idea in Karachi's honking traffic. There are plenty of firms... more travel advice
A sight to gladden the Mailman's heart! No guesses for who inspired these mailboxes, a relic of British colonial rule in... more travel advice
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Pakistan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Mountain gods Pakistan"
- "Pakistan....from mountains through deserts"
- "Faiza-Ifrah's women's Pakistan off the beaten path"
- "A Westerners Point of View"
- "THE ENCHANTING BEAUTY OF PAKISTAN........."
- "Incredible Pakistan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pakistan
- Hotels in Pakistan
- Transportation in Pakistan
- Nightlife in Pakistan
- Restaurants in Pakistan
- Shopping in Pakistan
- Warnings and Dangers in Pakistan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pakistan
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Pakistan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pakistan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: CliffClaven says goodbye"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Slugging it out on the cricket pitch"
- created a Pakistan Travel Page "PIA - Panic In Air, Pray I Arrive"
- Wrote a Review Rent a car - Insh'Allah about Driving in Pakistan in Pakistan Transportation
- Commented on one of javed's Pakistan travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Top Pakistan hotels
- Lahore Hotels
- 540 Reviews - 982 Photos
- Karachi Hotels
- 474 Reviews - 1011 Photos
- Islamabad Hotels
- 419 Reviews - 898 Photos
- Murree Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 149 Photos
- Rawalpindi Hotels
- 28 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Muzaffarabad Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Peshawar Hotels
- 242 Reviews - 333 Photos
- Faisalabad Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Mari Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Gilgit Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 156 Photos
- Gwadar Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 56 Photos
- Skardu Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 145 Photos
- Multan Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 100 Photos
- Kalam Hotels
- 40 Reviews - 103 Photos
- Muridke Hotels
- See nearby hotels