"Not over till the Fat Lady limps" Liechtenstein by CliffClaven
Liechtenstein Travel Guide: 440 reviews and 1,234 photos
Old Cliffie can just about understand why a publisher would give Bill Bryson, the most popular travel writer of the 1990s, a fat advance to fund a couple of trips to Australia so that he could write about damp downpours in Daintree and surly service in Sydney. But he really wonders why so many people buy his books to read about Liechtenstein and hotels he didn't stay in and orange juice he didn't drink.
Well eat crow, Bill Bryson, because when old Cliffie went to Liechtenstein he did drink the orange juice at the Hotel Real and he did stay at the Vaduzer Hof. And, on one of his trips, he made an entrance worthy of at least three pages of Bill Bryson's enthusiastic and mocking prose. Old Cliffie staggered into the Vaduzer Hof with his companion in his arms. No, old Cliffie hadn't just married the buxom wench, nor - which was more likely - was she the worse for wear because of drink. The silly girl had fallen down the stairs the day before and her ankle had ballooned to elephantine proportions. 'Matching her hips,' old Cliffie was heard to mutter, safe in the knowledge that he could run faster than she could hop.
Anyway, old Cliffie got her up the steps of the Vaduzer Hof, installed her in the room and went off in search of sustenance. While she languished, he lingered. Indeed, he managed to stay long enough in the Old Castle Inn to revive his spirits and become his usual cheery self again. Of course, it helped that he made the firm decision that when he next came to Liechtenstein it would be with someone somewhat lighter.
After failing to score a single goal in the 2002 World Cup campaign, tiny Liechtenstein surprised even themselves when... more travel advice
Vaduz has only a couple of thousand inhabitants, so don't expect to cruise the clubs at night looking for who's hot and... more travel advice
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Liechtenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Liechtenstein: the Shangri La of Europe"
- "Liechtenstein, the pretty Principality"
- "Liechtenstein is a little Gem"
- "Guilty again of country collecting! Make that #54"
- "wee tiny ickle country"
- "LIECHTENSTEIN - Unique and Special"
- "Liechtenstein - Between Austria and Switzerland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Liechtenstein
- Hotels in Liechtenstein
- Transportation in Liechtenstein
- Nightlife in Liechtenstein
- Restaurants in Liechtenstein
- Shopping in Liechtenstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Liechtenstein
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Liechtenstein
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Liechtenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liechtenstein
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: CliffClaven says goodbye"
- Commented on one of Helenbb's Liechtenstein travel pages
- Wrote a Review We are the Champions! in Liechtenstein Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Liechtenstein vor, schiesst ein Tor!"
- created a Liechtenstein Travel Page "Not over till the Fat Lady limps"
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos