Dumfries Nightlife Tips by CliffClaven
Dumfries Nightlife: 10 reviews and 2 photos
For a nation so devoted to drinking, it's always a wonder why the Scots choose to drink in such awful surroundings - although the Hole in the Wa', pictured here, is a reasonable town-centre pub that makes a commendable effort. As a rule, there is none of the cheerful liveliness that you can find in a pub in Germany, Japan or the States. Perhaps it has something to do with the puritan in every Scot, equating pleasure with sin. In most Scottish pubs, if you want to drink in more congenial surroundings you move to the gents. Poor old Cliffie has supped many a pint in his vain search for a decent bar north of the border. And another odd trait of the Scotsman on the bevvy is that you can stand beside him all evening and he will never utter a word. But walk into the toilet, and he will immediately strike up a conversation: Och aye, is this where a' the big knobs hing oot - ye ken, ye dinnae buy beer, ye just rent it - jings, couldnae be a pishheid.
More Reviews (6)
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Dumfries Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Poet's corner"
- "Well, we all have to come from somewhere!"
- "More than Meets the Eye"
- "a weekend on carruchan farm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dumfries
- Hotels in Dumfries
- Transportation in Dumfries
- Nightlife in Dumfries
- Restaurants in Dumfries
- Warnings and Dangers in Dumfries
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dumfries
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Dumfries?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dumfries
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: CliffClaven says goodbye"
- Commented on one of GillianMcLaughlin's Dumfries travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lockerbie Garden of Remembrance"
- created a Dumfries Travel Page "Dumfries - Gateway to Galloway"
- Wrote a Review Sweetheart Abbey in Dumfries Off The Beaten Path
Photos in DumfriesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos