"Kaffee und Kuchen und Karl Marx" Trier by CliffClaven
Trier Travel Guide: 582 reviews and 1,460 photos
Trier is Germany's oldest town. It has an enormous Roman gate and boasts of the oldest pharmacy in the country. It is now a thriving provincial town and a starting point for drives along the beautiful Moselle valley with its winding bends and steep vineyards.
Trier is also the birthplace of Karl Marx. One wonders how his ideas might have turned out if he had been born in the Trier of today, with its comfortable, placid, bourgeois existence. There are few signs of an exploited proletariat in modern Trier and it would perhaps be hard to advocate revolutionary reform of society while sitting among the town's affluent burghers as they indulge their German passion for afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen.
It may not be one of Europe's footballing shrines but the 16000 capacity Moselstadion beside the river attracts a... more travel advice
Karl Marx, author of 'Das Kapital' and founder of modern socialism, was born in Trier on 5 May 1818. The house where he... more travel advice
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Trier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tribute to Trier"
- "Trier: Where the Romans left their traces"
- "Older than Rome !"
- "worth a visit"
- "The oldest city of Germany!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trier
- Hotels in Trier
- Transportation in Trier
- Nightlife in Trier
- Restaurants in Trier
- Shopping in Trier
- Warnings and Dangers in Trier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trier
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Trier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trier
Photos in TrierSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos