"Rush hour in Kaesong" Top 5 Page for this destination Kaesong by CliffClaven
Kaesong Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 277 photos
Old Cliffie took this photo of the main street in Kaesong – a town with a population of 150000 - in the early afternoon of a normal working day. There was not a lot of traffic. In fact, the traffic policeman in the middle of the junction spent most of his time blowing his whistle and shouting at the subversive tourists trying to take photographs. Our tour guide/minder looked sheepish and said we ought to stop.
It was a pity, because there are things to photograph in Kaesong. For the last two years of the Korean War, while the rest of the peninsula was devastated as the front line moved back and forth, the two sides held armistice talks in Kaesong. Okay, the discussions often degenerated into raucous rants, but one thing the senior officials on both sides quickly agreed was that they didn't want to be bombed or shot at, and so they decided that Kaesong would be a combat-free area. The result is that the town is practically the only place in North Korea where you can find prewar architecture. Another interesting fact about Kaesong is that it is the only town in North Korea which was below the 38th parallel, i.e. in South Korea, at the outbreak of the war. Depending on your point of view, therefore, it was the only South Korean town "liberated" or "captured" by the North.
If you are capitalist roader who has got rich by exploiting the downtrodden masses, i.e. a foreign tourist, you'll be... more travel advice
According to the glossy North Korean guidebook old Cliffie found in Pyongyang, the ginseng grown around Kaesong has... more travel advice
CliffClaven's Related Pages
Kaesong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Far Side of the Kimchee Curtain... Kaesong"
- "North Korea's win from the Korean War"
- "Rush hour in Kaesong"
- "Big on history but near big trouble"
- "The Old Capital"
- "Kaesong - a glimse of Korean history"
- "Kaesong, my first step to North Korea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaesong
- Hotels in Kaesong
- Transportation in Kaesong
- Nightlife in Kaesong
- Restaurants in Kaesong
- Shopping in Kaesong
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaesong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaesong
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Kaesong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaesong
Photos in KaesongSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Tokyo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Malta Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sofia Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Naples Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Tehran Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- P'yongyang Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Laos Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos