"A Village The Way It Was" Top 5 Page for this destination Mendocino by phm3c
Mendocino Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 167 photos
Mendocino is a village - a 19th century village, that is. Located along the rugged northern California coastline, it hasn't changed very much since it sprang into being iin 1850. The shops and houses along Main Street face south and front the Pacific Ocean. There were only 824 people enumerated in the last U.S. Census (2000).
Perhaps the oldest church, aside from the Spanish missions, in California holding weekly services. Many Hollywood movies have used this church during its 137 years. Community activites are held in Eidseth House, to the right. The church and social hall have been the village's gathering place from its earliest days.
Aside from the church and gas station, and the State Park headquarters, Main Street's buildings all face south, scanning the rugged coastline and the Pacific Ocean. Artists are to be seen along the stretch of unimpeded bluff, attempting to put on canvass the pristine beauty of this place.
- Pros:A designated historical landmark, this village draws visitors from earth's four corners.
- Cons:There is no easy way to get there.
Mendocino began its life as a lumber mill. Now it produces art in its many forms. The galleries are all within easy... more travel advice
phm3c's Related Pages
Mendocino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Northern California Explorer"
- "Relax on California’s Northern Coast"
- "Not the sunny California you've heard about."
- "A Village The Way It Was"
- "Mendocino-A little bit of Maine on the West Coast"
- "MENDOCINO or CABOT COVE??"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mendocino
- Hotels in Mendocino
- Transportation in Mendocino
- Nightlife in Mendocino
- Restaurants in Mendocino
- Shopping in Mendocino
- Warnings and Dangers in Mendocino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mendocino
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Mendocino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mendocino
Photos in MendocinoSee All Photos (12)
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mendocino Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Yosemite National Park 1 review
No friends yet.