"Glasshouse Mountains National Park" Glass House Mountains National Park by stevemt
Glass House Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 34 photos
The glass house mountains were named by Captain Cook during his voyage of discovery here. They reminded him of the glass furnaces in Yorkshire.
They are well worth a trip, and in fact can be included with a trip to Australia Zoo, Maleny, Montville, and the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in general.
You will want your camera.
There is a legend on the glasshouse mountains - it goes like this
In the Aboriginal legend the mountains are members of a family with the father being Mount Tibrogargan and the mother Mount Beerwah. All of the other mountains are sons and daughters with the eldest being Mount Coonowrin.
Tibrogargan, the father, observes that the sea is rising and asks that Conowrin the eldest son help their pregnant mother to safety. Terrified, Coonowrin instead flees. Infuriated by his sons cowardice Tibrogargan pursues him and strikes him so hard that he dislocates Coonowrin's neck.
Once the danger passes Coonowrin feels tremendous guilt for his actions and asks his father, brothers and sisters for forgiveness but all wept with shame. This is said to explain the many small streams that flow through the area. Tibrogargan turned his back on Coonowrin and gazes out to sea refusing to look at his son Coonowrin who continues to hang his head in shame and cry.
Beerwah is apparently still pregnant, as it takes time for a mountain to give birth.
stevemt's Related Pages
Glass House Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AMAZING VOLCANIC PLUGS!"
- "Glass House Mountain Road"
- "Glasshouse Mountains National Park"
- "Glasshouse Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glass House Mountains National Park
- Restaurants in Glass House Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Glass House Mountains National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glass House Mountains National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Glass House Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glass House Mountains National Park
Photos in Glass House Mountains National ParkSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 186 photos
- Paris Intro, 26 reviews, 89 photos
- Beijing Intro, 27 reviews, 74 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 20 reviews, 79 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 21 reviews, 75 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos
- Riga Intro, 15 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Kinabalu Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos
- Xi'an Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos
- Rome Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos