Montreal Tourist Trap Tips by Gwenvar
Montreal Tourist Traps: 73 reviews and 48 photos
Old Montréal when it wasn't that old yet
Dear Old Montréal,
we love you, but some of your restaurants are really too expensive for what they have to offer. Especially on Place Jacques-Cartier, where all the tourists go. The little ones which are supposed to be cheap. Well, they are cheap, but not for the costumer. It's more like, the owners, that are cheap.
Unique Suggestions: Not all, though. The few ones that are on the Eastern side, same side as the Town Hall, are ok. You can still find some good ones on the Western side of the street. I haven't been to all of them. But be wary. And it isn't just in that particular spot of Old Montréal, that you have to be careful, so look to see if there is a reasonnable amount of locals inside. If they all look like lost tourists, it's because what they really lost is their appetite.
Fun Alternatives: But Old Montréal also contains a lot of great restaurants, so don't worry. Either ask at the place you are staying, or to locals you come to chat with. And it isn't because they are French Canadians that they cannot be tourists, so ask them if they know the place well.
And in doubt, you can always bring yourself a small pic-nic, that you can eat along the old quay, just down the street. There is a parc there, that follows it, and where you will eventually go to, anyway, like everyone else.
More Reviews (41)
- See All The Montreal High Lights Festival
- See All Going Apple Picking
- See All A Bakery for The Fashionista
- See All Marché Jean-Talon (Market)
- See All Downtown Shoping on Ste-Catherine Street
- Winter Driving in Montreal with a...
- See All Walking Outside of the Usual Paths
- Warm Winter Clothes, or Freeze!
- See All One of Montreal's Boutique Hotels
- See All The place for electronic...
- See All Taking the bus around
Been to Montreal?Share your travels with the world!
Gwenvar's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 42 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Photos in MontrealSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Montreal Intro, 42 reviews, 63 photos
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos
- Oxford Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfe Castle Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Saint-Jovite Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Salisbury Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Wales Intro, 3 photos
- Dorset Intro, 3 photos
- Ogunquit Intro, 3 photos
- West Lulworth Intro, 3 photos
No friends yet.
- Old Montreal- 152 Reviews, 256 Photos
- Mont-Royal- 85 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Downtown- 37 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal- 108 Reviews, 167 Photos
- Space for Life - Biodôme- 46 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Chinatown- 22 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Olympic Village- 31 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount Royal- 37 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Museum of Fine Arts- 18 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Space for Life - Montreal Botanical Garden- 51 Reviews, 130 Photos
See All Montreal Things to Do