"Christmas Shopping Hungarian style" Budapest by jetwind
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,812 reviews and 18,140 photos
Since the collapse of communism the former eastern block has open its arms and its tills to the west and have embraced capitalism and our wallets. Budapest is no different; however its worth a look before the hordes of young and horny men takeover the place and turns it into another Amsterdam or Hamburg. The signs are already there with western style fast food outlets on most street corners and girlie bars on every other.
In saying that its a place that you visit as least once in your life as its quite pretty with a fair mix of modern and remnants of the soviet past.
The city is devided into two halves by the river Danube, these areas are known as Buda and the latter isknown as Pest. The two areas are very different and you should choose your location carefully.
The city was formed as we now know it in 1873 when the Chain bridge was built to cross the Danube River.
This is most ornate part of the city offfering comanding views of Pest as it sits on higher ground. This quite a hilly area and you'll find more expensive hotels loacted here such as Hilton and Congress Park Hotel Flamenco. In saying that its a great place to visit and a swim in the famous spa at Danubius Hotel Gellert is well worth the stay.
This area is more industrial than Buda, however it has more going on this side of town. When comes to accomodation the choice is higher and can be cheaper. You'll find hotels such Sofitel and my hotel the Radisson Beke.
There are spas and shops and lots of bars to keep you entertained as well having the best links to the airport and ishome to the main rail station. However what it has facilities it looses in beauty.
- Pros:Still cheap as they have yet to convert to the Euro.
- Cons:There is a language Barrier
- In a nutshell:Not what you expected!
Having been a life long promoter of full service Schedule airlines this was my first break into the no frills market and... more travel advice
This was a well appointed location close to the rail station, the underground and tram stop. Located on Pest, the four... more travel advice
jetwind's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "BIG, BUSTLING, BEAUTIFUL, BUDAPEST!"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Photos in BudapestSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greater Manchester Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Tyne and Wear Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolton Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Southport Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos