"Home town" Bolton by jetwind
Bolton Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 197 photos
In the ninteen eighties pop group Candy Flip made a hit with "Life in a northern town" the hit typifes life in Bolton. The town is founded on the cotton trade and has a number of mills pepper around the town as reminder of it's grim past.
Cotton was first produced in 1641, and the textile trade continued with fulling, the washing, shrinking and thickening of cloth. Velvets made from cotton were first made in around 1756 by Jeremiah Clarke, muslins and cotton quiltings in 1763 by Joseph Shaw. The industry was still cottage based, and development was slow but helped by the inventions of James Hargreaves' Spinning Jenny in 1768, and Richard Arkwright's (A barber from Bolton) Water Frame. A year later in 1769 James Watt patented the steam engine, used to drive machinery from coal dug locally. Mechanisation took a big leap forward with the invention of the spinning mule, by Bolton-born Samuel Crompton (1753 - 1827) in 1779, permitting a much finer and stronger yarn to be made. A statue of Crompton was erected in Nelson Square in 1862. The first spinning mill was built in 1780.
Bolton is located close to Manchester and accessable by road, train and by Plane. For flight info visit www.manchesterairport.co.uk
A short drive from Bolton is the neighbouring to of Bury. Here you’ll find a railway station steeped in history and... more travel advice
Fly into Mancester airport and join Transpennie express for the 40 minute ride to Bolton via Manchester city centre. The... more travel advice
jetwind's Related Pages
Bolton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bolton born and bred"
- "A Weekend Around Bolton"
- "Bolton - Home of the Pheonix Club"
- "Bolton Pics"
- "Home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bolton
- Hotels in Bolton
- Transportation in Bolton
- Nightlife in Bolton
- Restaurants in Bolton
- Shopping in Bolton
- Warnings and Dangers in Bolton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bolton
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Bolton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bolton
Photos in BoltonSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greater Manchester Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Tyne and Wear Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolton Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Southport Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Bolton hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Premier Inn Bolton Reebok Stadium
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- De Vere Whites Hotel
- 374 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Travelodge Bolton West
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Mercure Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa Bolton
- 548 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Jarvis International Bolton
- 1 Review & Opinion