"Sun Samba and soccer" Rio de Janeiro by jetwind
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide: 3,655 reviews and 6,514 photos
1. Rio De Janeiro Means river of January
2. The local currency is the Real
3. The official language is Portuguese
4. Time zone is – 3 hours of GMT
Ok the title of this chapter is straight of a James bond movie, "Moonraker". It’s a good question though and one that is easily answered, there are the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema as well as sugarloaf mountain, there’s Christ the redeemer at the peak of the Corcovado and if you’re interested in looking at what life is like for the very poor then you can take a tour of shanty towns.
See Things to do for more infomation.
The city by the sea is beutiful in parts and is a most see on anyones world destinations hit list, however for me the city is devided into two halfs. The first half is the wealthy that live along the coast line in highrise air-conditioned apartments enjoying all the trappings of this beautiful citylife and the other lives in hills and are by contrast extremley poor and in some cases live rough on the streets. There are kids that sleep in the baking mid day sun naked on the street sidewalks because they have no where else to go. As a consequence there is a very high crime level against tourists being pick pocketed or just robbed and beaten up and in some cases this actioned by children no older than 12 or 13 years old.
I do think its a little sad that you now can take a tour of the pooriest areas as I fail to see how poverty can be a tourist attraction.
In saying all of that if you show some common sense and you'll be fine.
- Pros:Cheap when you get there
- Cons:Expensive to get there
- In a nutshell:Carnival capital
It is impossible to conceive a trip to Rio de Janeiro without paying a visit to the statue of Christ The Redeemer.... more travel advice
A great place to start your evening with a cocktail or two or even Brahama beer. It's all about the view at this bar in... more travel advice
jetwind's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greater Manchester Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Cardiff Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
- Tyne and Wear Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bolton Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Southport Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos