"CHARMING BERN" Top 5 Page for this destination Bern by hojasdehierba

Bern Travel Guide: 595 reviews and 1,830 photos

Daytrip

We did not stay in Bern, but in Basel. From Basel, we made a daytrip to Bern by train, which took us less than an hour. Unfortunately, the weather was not good (well, we expect bad weather, it was February), so the pictures of the city are not as good as they would be with a clear sky. However, Bern is a place which I would recommend everybody to visit. Well, the UNESCO recommends it too, so I am not very original.

No nos alojamos en Berna, sino en Basilea, desde donde hicimos un viaje de un dia a Berna en tren. Nos llevo menos de una hora. Desafortunadamente, el clima no era muy bueno (en realidad esperabamos mal tiempo, era febrero), asi que las fotos de la ciudad no son tan buenas como podrian serlo en un dia con el cielo despejado. Aun asi, Berna es un lugar que recomiendo visitar a todo el mundo. Bueno, en realidad, la UNESCO lo recomienda tambien, asi que no soy muy original.

Bern in a hurry?

If you are in a hurry and you have to restrain yourself to a few places, here is my choice:
1. Munster: Stained windows and Last Judgement are a blast. Don't miss them.
2. Bundeshaus: impressive powerful building.
3. Rathaus: I didn't have high expectations and I was nicely suprised. Beautiful, harmonical, interesting...
4. Paul Klee Zentrum: Both the outside and the inside are amazing... Only skip it if you hate modern art.
5. Zytglogge: One of Bern symbols. Its central location will allow you to give a look to some of the fountains as well.

Bern distinctive features

For me, the most distinctive features of Bern are the fountains (brunnen) and the shopping arcades. The fountains are all around Old City and are both beautiful and bizarre. The arcades give shelter from bad weather and are unusually long. Its geographical location is peculiar too. It seems that river Aare curved itself to host the Aldtstadt (Old City)

Para mi, los rasgos mas distintivos de Berna son las fuentes (brunnen) y los soportales con tiendas. Las fuentes estan por toda la Ciudad Vieja y son bonitas y extranhas. Los soportales cobijan del mal tiempo y son desacostumbradamente largos. Su situacion geografica es peculiar tambien. Parece como si el rio Aare se curvase sobre si mismo para alojar a la Aldstadt (Zona Vieja)

• Pros:Beautiful town, easily walkable.
  • Cons:Expensive
  • In a nutshell:UNESCO made a good election with Bern
  • Last visit to Bern: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2006

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Very informative page on Bern, Raquel! Shame that the poor weather did not show the city off to its best.

• Irinna's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2008 at 11:20 PM

A lovely page! Thanks for sharing/

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2006 at 5:29 AM

Excellent page with alot of great tips and interesting pictures. Very helpful too as I was there in the 1980's and only remembered the Bear Pit.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Your tips are so full of historical facts, I feel like I just had a guided tour of Bern. That child-eating statue though is an interesting tidbit...

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Wonderful page, Raquel! Congratulations! I enjoyed reading your tips. Diana

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Thanks for your kind comment, Raquel! I enjoyed your Bern page to the full. I am a Klee fan too and would love to see that spectaculair undulating museum itself! Thanks for sharing :-) elisabeth.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Veo que aprovechasteis bien el tiempo en Berna! una página genial y las fotos tambien aunque el dia era gris y frio.Yo tuve un dia estupendo en Octubre,nunca olvidare mi visita a Berna,se me rompio mi camara digital flamante de 600 E!

• Mar 5, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Beautiful page...My congratulation !! :)

hojasdehierba

“Lo mejor aún está por ver // The best, I haven't seen yet”

Badges & Stats in Bern