"MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Vernon by VeronicaG
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos
Mount Vernon was the home of the first President of the United States, George Washington and wife, Martha. They lived here from 1759 until his death in 1799, acquiring 8000 acres by that time.
At 16 George Washington worked as a surveyor for Lord Fairfax. He was commissioned a lieutenant colonel in 1754 and fought in the early stirrings of the French and Indian war. He served in the Virginia House of Burgesses, was a Virginia delegate to the Second Continental Congress and elected as Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army in 1775. He became President of the United States in 1789 and served until 1797.
Mount Vernon overlooks the Potomac River and features heirloom gardens designed by Washington himself. Thirteen trees still stand from the days he lived here.
Originally five separate farms were part of the estate. Each farm contributing something different to the running of the estate. The house that exists now was referred to as the Mansion House Farm.
Admission prices are $11 for adults; $10.50 for seniors; $5 for children 6-11 and free for ages 5 and under. Mount Vernon opens Apr.-Aug. 8 am-5pm; Mar, Sept. & Oct. 9am -5 pm; Nov.-Feb. 9 am-4 pm. Open daily even during holidays.
The address is 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mt. Vernon, Virginia. For more information call: 703-780-2000 or see www.mountvernon.org
General George Washington applied his hand at designing the gardens of Mount Vernon. Heirloom plants were raised here.
There are two crypts at Mount Vernon, but this is the final resting place for the former President.
- Pros:Historical setting; famous people; beautiful views
- In a nutshell:I can see why this was a beloved home!
This garden seems to be a good place in which to reflect and is more formal in comparison to the other plots. George... more travel advice
This Tulip Poplar was actually planted by George Washington and still stands today. Mount Vernon was purchased from the... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Mount Vernon Travel Page "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- Uploaded a Photo to "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- Wrote a Review See The Formal Garden in Mount Vernon Things to Do
Photos in Mount VernonSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue