"Weatherford's Claim to Fame" Weatherford by VeronicaG

Weatherford Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos

THE PARKER COUNTY PEACH FESTIVAL

Our newspaper promoted it and our neighbors have lauded it, so when The Parker County Peach Festival came around we eagerly added it to our "must do" list! Weatherford, Texas is located approximately 20 minutes from the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex.

Sailing along I-820, then 30W. we passed lush, green landscape. A rarity this time of year in Texas. Buckets of rain have fallen to make this one of the wettest summers in history and the thirsty ground just soaked it all up, producing an abundance of lovely wildflowers.

A flag or two was hug at half mast due to Ladybird Johnson's passing a couple days ago. How appropriate that her efforts to beautify America years ago, resulted in the glorious displays along the roadsides today!

As we neared the Weatherford exit, we could see lines of cars stacked up and inching towards 'the most popular town festival in Texas'. Apparently all that we had heard was true--it seemed everyone in Texas wanted to be a part of the celebration!

• Last visit to Weatherford: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2007

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Cutting Horses and Peaches... I better tell my mom about this place!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 3:41 PM

I've been to a blueberry festival in Michigan where I couldn't find anything with blueberries except donuts! I was very disappointed, why call it a blueberry festival then? Nice page :-)

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 6:59 AM

Great page! Thank you!! I see peaches aren't always associated to GA. Woohoo your grandson did so well!!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 7:50 AM

Another wonderful story about a small Texas town visit. The peaches are better than ever this year.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM

Loved the "nearly-lost Peach Jam" story! What a great day in Weatherford regardless of the heat. Beautiful quilts in your intro photo. These are the kinds of Americana events I cherish. Thanks for such well written descriptions.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Sounds like an enjoyable event. It's ironic that peach jam is so hard to find at a Peach Festival. Nice that you have so many wildflowers this year in Texas.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Weatherford

Have you been to Weatherford?