"Mammoths, Historic Village & the First Dr. Pepper" Top 5 Page for this destination Waco by VeronicaG
Waco Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 293 photos
Perhaps a year or so ago as we drove through Waco for the first time, all that seemed to redeem it was Baylor University. On a recent visit, however, we determined to find something more in Waco...and we did.
While Baylor is its shining jewel, I think the Brazos River is certainly an attraction itself. I think more could be made of it!
Waco is home to the unique Dr. Pepper Museum, Mayborn Museum and its mammoths, quaint Historic Village and the Texas Hall of Fame and Ranger Museum, which all offer hours of enjoyment for the entire family.
Here's a bit of Waco history: In 1824, Thomas M. Duke found a group of Native Americans living in what is now the downtown area, near the west bank of the Brazos River. They were referred to as the 'Hueco' or Waco.
He reported back to Stephen F. Austin, "...They have about 400 acres planted in corn, pumpkins and melons that are tended and in good order. I doubt they could raise more than 100 warriors."
After Austin's failed attempt to take the village, a treaty was signed between them in 1825. Peace was shortlived, for in 1830 Comanche's, cast out of their own territory, invaded and the Hueco moved upstream to Palo Pinto County, to where Fort Worth is located now.*
In more recent times, our government's confrontation with the branch Davidian cult focused the world's attention on Waco in a less than positive way, when the compound went up in flames and an investigation into this event seemed somwhat lackluster.
*taken from wikipedia.com
If you like the appeal of a diner with it's no-nonsense meals, you'll enjoy Health Club. It's located next to the Elite... more travel advice
The Elite Circle Grille is one of ten top restaurants in Waco. It came by its name naturally since it is situated along... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Waco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waco, TX... my home for 4 fun filled years!"
- "Basaic Waco Page"
- "Mammoths, Historic Village & the First Dr. Pepper"
- "Keeweechic's Waco"
- "Waco for fun"
- "Passing through History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waco
- Hotels in Waco
- Transportation in Waco
- Nightlife in Waco
- Restaurants in Waco
- Shopping in Waco
- Warnings and Dangers in Waco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waco
- 21 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Waco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waco
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Waco Travel Page "Mammoths, Historic Village & the First Dr. Pepper"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Helpful Stop--Tourist Information Center"
- Wrote a Review For Burgers and Dogs in Waco Restaurants
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's Waco travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue