"Tyler,Texas--Come for the Azalea and Rose Festival" Top 5 Page for this destination Tyler by VeronicaG

Tyler Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 151 photos

Flowers, Flowers and more Flowers....

Tyler, Texas is located approximately 126 miles from the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex and was named in honor of President John Tyler.

As we traveled 80-E and then 20-E. we passed by Mesquite--Home of the Jack Rabbits, then Forney--known for its numerous antique shops. As we sped along the highway, patches of deep pink RED BUD and the verdant green of the forest were in evidence. Spring has come to Texas!

Cattle in colors of black, brown and tan and a few horses dotted the greening pastures. Fifty miles outside of Tyler even a few camels could be seen grazing behind fences. Yes...camels!

We were being drawn to this town of over 89,000 people to see the azaleas. The Tyler Azalea Festival is held each year in March/April and heralds the blooming of countless flowers along an eight mile route in one of the districts of town appropriately named, the Azalea District.

The town webpage keeps track of the various stages of blooming and alerts the public. We were a bit early for a full-blossomed display, but we did see some brilliantly colored azaleas and took this opportunity to acquaint ourselves with some of the attractions Tyler offers.

One of these sites is the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden, featuring roses, camellias, an Idea Garden and more. I'd like to visit Tyler during the height of the rose display because I've heard the fragrance is out of this world! A Rose Festival is held in October each year.

Tyler is located in the PINEY WOODS District of Texas.

• Last visit to Tyler: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM

great page

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I do have a love of gardening so this place would suit my green fingers! Enjoyed the virtual tour :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Beautiful photos of the flowers and the historic homes -- and the Azalea Belles.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 11:15 AM

Ah, I always admire US for the immense beauty of gardening :-) These colours and flowers are such a feast for the eyes, I can imagine what a delight this visit has been :-))

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Camellias, roses, azaleas as well as Colonial and Victorian homes, arts and crafts and beautiful Azalea Belles...what a sight/site!!Stellar pages with excellent writing/descriptions and brilliant photos.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Fantastic page, amazing pctures and great info! I like gardens and the McClendon House especially. Great accommodation tips as wel. I'd love to visit Tyler, Texas now.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 7:29 PM

A very interesting tour of another small Texas town. This one happens to be famouis for its beautiful flowers and gardens. The restaurant meal sounds delicious.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 6:01 PM

What a great page, Veronica! Such a charming town like so many Texas towns you've shared with us on VT. After looking at these pictures, I realize just how much work my garden needs!!

VeronicaG