"Sherman, Texas--Home of The Red River Museum" Sherman by VeronicaG
Sherman Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 39 photos
We arrived in Sherman, Texas after 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. Perhaps not the best time to visit since most businesses circling town square were already closed for the day.
However, we stopped by the Kelly Square shops which were open and the Antique Mall, whose three levels of wares kept us occupied for a time. After determining which view of the courthouse was to its best advantage, I snapped a few photos then we drove a couple blocks to the Red River Museum. In no time at all, two hours had passed before we made the decision to retrace our steps and proceed to McKinney, Texas for dinner.
Sherman, Texas is the seat for Grayson County and sits along US 75, approximately an hour and a half from the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Apparently it is quite busy during the week as both the County Courthouse and Federal Courthouse draw many to town for business.
Established in 1846, the town was named after Sidney Sherman, a leader from the Battle of San Jacinto. It was once a vigorous place of commerce with multiple schools of learning located here. Austin College continues to offer college degrees. It was the first Texas institution to offer graduate and law degrees and was the first to have a national fraternity.
Infamous desperadoes, like Jesse James and William Quantrill moved in and out of Sherman often. The town suffered destruction from two fires in 1875 requiring a good part of the town to be rebuilt and in 1930 the courthouse was destroyed during the Sherman Riot (see tips).
While visiting this small Texas town, we encountered some very friendly people, but were disappointed that there was not much to waylay visitors that Saturday afternoon. Coming to the rescue--The Red River Museum!!
Note to self: if visiting again, arrive before 2pm!
Before Grayson County* was created, when the area was unsettled yet by travelers venturing to the area, the Caddo... more travel advice
Sherman was one of the scheduled stops on the Butterfield Overland Coach Company and Mail Route--you might be thinking,... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Sherman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sherman, Texas--Home of The Red River Museum"
- "Keeweechic's Sherman"
- "Jayhawk2000's Sherman TX"
- "Sherman, Tx"
- "Basaic Sherman Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sherman
- Transportation in Sherman
- Restaurants in Sherman
- Shopping in Sherman
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gemiler Adasi Hotels
- Kampung Sungai Pinang Kecil Hotels
- Northfield Falls Hotels
- Blindsee Hotels
- Ko Phangan
- Spring Mill State Park
- Kenya Hotels
- Pleasant Hill Hotels
- Paços de Ferreira
- Green River
Badges & Stats in Sherman
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Sherman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sherman
Photos in ShermanSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue