"SALADO-Small Town Flavor with Heaps of Appeal!" Salado by VeronicaG
Salado Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 66 photos
Update: January, 2010 Taking advantage of the long New Year's weekend, we drove 2 1/2 hours to revisit Salado's tourist friendly street, poke through its shops and enjoy two of its recommended restaurants. New tips on the way!
Two hours south of Fort Worth, Salado, Texas beckons with its unique little shops and preserved stretch of historic buildings, offering a pleasant afternoon of browsing and chilling one's heels.
It sits in Bell County midway between Waco and Austin, Texas, just off 35W, a highway whose way is strewn with wildflowers, expansive fields and cattle pastures.
"You haven't been to Salado yet?" a friend exclaimed over lunch. After hearing her descriptions of this touristy site my husband and I grabbed the GPS the next Saturday and headed out to see just what we'd missed.
Unfortunately, a severe storm had toustled the town a few days before and there was evidence of its destruction all over the place. It seemed to be mostly large sections of trees and branches that were downed, but we heard a couple roofs were lifted, as well.
Several of the shopkeepers had stories to tell of its fury, but the town must have made a heroic effort in removing most of the storm's effects because the streets were clear when we arrived. Spring in Texas brings tornado watches, warnings and the real thing sometimes!
If you are living in or visiting the Fort Worth/Dallas area and are perhaps making Austin your destination, plan to stop in Salado. You'll discover the appeal of its shops and the friendly atmosphere of this small town.
Adelea's is fairly new to Salado and was recently written up in Texas Highways magazine, so spying the restaurant as we... more travel advice
If you're wanting to create the look of old-style elegance, Salado Creek Antiques is the place to do this. The... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Salado Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SALADO-Small Town Flavor with Heaps of Appeal!"
- "Salado, Texas"
- "Basaic Salado Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salado
- Hotels in Salado
- Restaurants in Salado
- Shopping in Salado
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salado
- 20 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Salado?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salado
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue