"Round Rock--Small, But Mighty!" Top 5 Page for this destination Round Rock by VeronicaG

Round Rock Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 118 photos

Named Best Small Town in America--7th Place

We were intrigued by its name and stopped at Round Rock on our way home from Georgetown, Texas. A large sign boasted, "Home of the Dragons". Although the historic downtown area was a short walk up one side and down, it exuded character.

The town took its name from this round rock, marking a 'low water' crossing at Brushy Creek. Peering from atop the low bridge spanning the creek, you can still see the ruts made by wagons passing across one hundred years ago. A marker affixed to the bridge support tells the story.

*The community was first named Brushy Creek by its postmaster in 1851, however it was changed to Round Rock a few years later in 1854. The round rock marks the exact spot where the famed Chisholm Trail crossed as it carried cattle from South Texas to Abilene, Kansas and beyond.

In 1878, Sam Bass, a notorious train robber, was captured in the downtown area by the Texas Rangers. A re-enactment of the original gunfight is an annual event here in Round Rock.

Outside of town (off I-35) you'll find Round Rock Premium Outlets, where big name brands are discounted and where a bevy of hotels and fast food restaurants await the traveler.

*history provided by wikipedia.com

• Last visit to Round Rock: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 11:57 AM

We area staying there this weekend. Thanks for the tips of what to do

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Interesting tips on this historic little town. I wonder how they decided it was the 7th best small town in the US, rather than the 6th or 8th.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM

The name caught my eye too. Love the cattle sculptures and am always interested in pioneering history - a great wee page, thanks -leyle

• MommaCarroll's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 7:17 AM

We enjoyed Round Rock while visiting our son. Thanks for the information.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Some interesting history here, I wish I could find that cave full of gold!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM

Nice page, Veronica! You always manage to find quaint & interesting places to visit & write about! I learned some very interesting facts from your page!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 5:06 PM

An education for me, indeed. What an interesting and historic place. Your descriptions are excellent. Thanks for such fine work.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Interesting page, Veronica. I always associate Round Rock with baseball. Glad to learn there are actually round rocks there.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Nice page Veronica :) full of history - I didn't know where the long horn cow came from although I did have a postcard of one from Kay = thanks for sharing :) we live and learn!!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Round Rock

Have you been to Round Rock?