"Round Rock--Small, But Mighty!" Top 5 Page for this destination Round Rock by VeronicaG
Round Rock Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 118 photos
We were intrigued by its name and stopped at Round Rock on our way home from Georgetown, Texas. A large sign boasted, "Home of the Dragons". Although the historic downtown area was a short walk up one side and down, it exuded character.
The town took its name from this round rock, marking a 'low water' crossing at Brushy Creek. Peering from atop the low bridge spanning the creek, you can still see the ruts made by wagons passing across one hundred years ago. A marker affixed to the bridge support tells the story.
*The community was first named Brushy Creek by its postmaster in 1851, however it was changed to Round Rock a few years later in 1854. The round rock marks the exact spot where the famed Chisholm Trail crossed as it carried cattle from South Texas to Abilene, Kansas and beyond.
In 1878, Sam Bass, a notorious train robber, was captured in the downtown area by the Texas Rangers. A re-enactment of the original gunfight is an annual event here in Round Rock.
Outside of town (off I-35) you'll find Round Rock Premium Outlets, where big name brands are discounted and where a bevy of hotels and fast food restaurants await the traveler.
*history provided by wikipedia.com
According to accounts of his personality, Sam Bass committed train robberies more for amusement than anything else. He... more travel advice
When we traveled through Round Rock, the Main Street Art Stroll was set up on the town green. This event occurs on the... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Round Rock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Round Rock--Small, But Mighty!"
- "From Small Town to Metropolis!"
- "BOOMING ROUND ROCK, TEXAS"
- "The Sports Capital of Texas?"
- "Round Rock"
- "jan119's new Round Rock Page"
- "Veronica's house in Roundrock Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Round Rock
- Hotels in Round Rock
- Nightlife in Round Rock
- Restaurants in Round Rock
- Shopping in Round Rock
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Round Rock
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Round Rock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Round Rock
Photos in Round RockSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Round Rock hotel reviews
- Marriott Austin North
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Days Inn Suites Round Rock (1802 S Interstate 35 )
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Value Place Round Rock
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Round Rock
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Residence Inn By Marriott Austin Round Rock
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Wingate by Wyndham Round Rock
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013