"A Day in New Braunfels" Top 5 Page for this destination New Braunfels by VeronicaG
New Braunfels Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 243 photos
December brought us to San Antonio--we were spending Christmas there. We had just seen some of the family at Thanksgiving and other family members were coming in early January for a visit, so instead of spending the holiday by ourselves we opted to travel.
After arriving at the airport in the early morning, we jumped into our spiffy rental car and aimed it towards New Brunfels. Our hotel room at the Hyatt Riverwalk would not be ready for us in San Antonio yet, so why not strike out for new horizons?
New Brunfels sits 30 miles northeast of San Antonio and easily accessed by travel on I-35. Two rivers run through this town of 36,000 people: the Comal and the Guadalupe.
It was a sprinkly day, but that never hampers our sightseeing. We grabbed a hat (in my husband's case) and an umbrella (for me) and determined to make the best of our day.
The town was founded in the 1840's by German Prince Carl of Solms, who brought settlers to the area. His intention was to establish a community, but after traveling back to Germany to marry, never returned. It seemed his wife, Sophie, had no desire to help build a remote western town.
We learned that many of New Braunfels citizens owned farms outside of town, so built small homes reserved for weekend use in town. This gave them the opportunity to attend church, socialize with other families and stock up on necessary goods.
We enjoyed our day in New Braunfels, I think you would, too!
FYI: The Bandstand, Civil War/Doughboy Memorial and Fountain were all situated at this small park on Main Plaza and Seguin Street.
This is a statue of a Confederate soldier; behind is a statue representing a Doughboy. They sit next to the bandstand and were given several years apart by Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Clousnitzer.
The fountain and friendship tree symbolize the bond between New Braunfels and Old Braunfels in Germany.
It was a rainy day in New Braunfels when we arrived, but in spite of the weather we wanted to learn something about this... more travel advice
December is NOT the best month to visit SCHLITTERBAHN WATERPARK, but we were curious about this popular summer... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
New Braunfels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day in New Braunfels"
- "New Braunfels"
- "Mighty's new New Braunfels Page"
- "Keeweechic's New Braunfels"
- "Basaic New Braunfels Page"
- "Great food at the historic Gristmill Restaurant"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Braunfels
- Hotels in New Braunfels
- Transportation in New Braunfels
- Nightlife in New Braunfels
- Restaurants in New Braunfels
- Shopping in New Braunfels
- Warnings and Dangers in New Braunfels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Braunfels
- 14 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to New Braunfels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Braunfels
Photos in New BraunfelsSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue