"A Day in New Braunfels" Top 5 Page for this destination New Braunfels by VeronicaG

New Braunfels Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 243 photos

A Quaint German Town

December brought us to San Antonio--we were spending Christmas there. We had just seen some of the family at Thanksgiving and other family members were coming in early January for a visit, so instead of spending the holiday by ourselves we opted to travel.

After arriving at the airport in the early morning, we jumped into our spiffy rental car and aimed it towards New Brunfels. Our hotel room at the Hyatt Riverwalk would not be ready for us in San Antonio yet, so why not strike out for new horizons?

New Brunfels sits 30 miles northeast of San Antonio and easily accessed by travel on I-35. Two rivers run through this town of 36,000 people: the Comal and the Guadalupe.

It was a sprinkly day, but that never hampers our sightseeing. We grabbed a hat (in my husband's case) and an umbrella (for me) and determined to make the best of our day.

The town was founded in the 1840's by German Prince Carl of Solms, who brought settlers to the area. His intention was to establish a community, but after traveling back to Germany to marry, never returned. It seemed his wife, Sophie, had no desire to help build a remote western town.

We learned that many of New Braunfels citizens owned farms outside of town, so built small homes reserved for weekend use in town. This gave them the opportunity to attend church, socialize with other families and stock up on necessary goods.

We enjoyed our day in New Braunfels, I think you would, too!

FYI: The Bandstand, Civil War/Doughboy Memorial and Fountain were all situated at this small park on Main Plaza and Seguin Street.

The Civil War Memorial

This is a statue of a Confederate soldier; behind is a statue representing a Doughboy. They sit next to the bandstand and were given several years apart by Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Clousnitzer.

Fountain at the Park

The fountain and friendship tree symbolize the bond between New Braunfels and Old Braunfels in Germany.

• Last visit to New Braunfels: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2007

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I don't know that we will have time to visit NB, I might have made time if the Prince had been successful in building that castle :-)

• himalia11's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM

Very interesting page! I'm living not far away from "Old" Braunfels and just learnt last week that there's a New Braunfels in Texas.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Just marvelous, [just corrected my spelling!]Veronica. All the kinds of places I love to see and research. I find these tips to be informative, fun to read, and a real education about Texas and the German influence.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 1:09 PM

A very interesting page on New Braunfels early history. They traveled light! I have heard about the river fafting, for years, but have never been there.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 9:01 AM

The German heritage of Texas is intersting - I've visited Fredericksburg, NB looks to be similar. I'd love a little Sunday House to escape to for the weekend - though I might give the hours they spent in church a miss and just stay in bed! leyle

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I always enjoy reading your pages and this was no exception! What a charming place! I particularly like the Sophienburg Museum and all the antique shops! Right up my alley!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Interesting to trace the German heritage of this Texas town --- though actually I don't have the impression that New Braunfels, Texas, looks very much like Braunfels, Hessen, which is just up the road from here.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Nice page Veronica with a very German slant

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Interesting cute town Veronica :-) I was never aware of Prince Carl going to Texas and founding a village. Ahh yes, so you had a taste of these yummm pretzels :-)

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 6:18 AM

Great tips on NB! I would have taken a strudel to go for eating later!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in New Braunfels

Have you been to New Braunfels?

Latest Activity in New Braunfels