"SMALL TOWN LIFE AT ITS MAX--McKinney,Texas!" Top 5 Page for this destination McKinney by VeronicaG

McKinney Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 205 photos

Friendly and Laid Back

UPDATE: June, 2010 It was in the 90's temp-wise but we threw caution to the wind and headed to McKinney for their June Garden Club Tour, where we wandered through seven gardens and four attractive homes. Sunburned, but happy we finished the day with some very good ideas for landscaping and interior decorating. We also stumbled onto another annual event, the Ice Cream Crank-Off--wonder what this is? See my Things to Do and Restaurant tips for more....
*************************************

Since moving to Texas, we've loved using the weekends to travel to small towns to either acquaint ourselves with the area or to join in on some of the festivals or other activities.

While New Orleans has its annual Mardi Gras, there are some towns that have become a little more creative with their celebration!

Unbeknownst to us, this particular weekend McKinney, Texas was celebrating the fifth annual KREWE OF BARKUS, Mardi Gras Dog Parade. The theme was Hounds Go To Hollywood and it was the most remarkable pet event we've ever seen.

As the congenial crowd gathered along the sidewalks surrounding the Old Collins County Courthouse in the historic downtown area, we were quickly encircled by dogs of all sizes--some dressed in hilarious, imaginative costumes--accompanied by family members who also wore clever costumes.

Small dogs mingled with large dogs, fancy dogs met nose to nose with 'regular joes'--each decked out in blond wigs, fancy hats or elaborate outfits. It was something to see!

At 2pm as planned, an official parade car pulled to the front of the crowd and three musicians stepped forward to sound their horns announcing the start of the parade.

Little dogs led the pack, followed by medium sized, with large animals trailing behind. Once the entire parade circumnavigated the square surrounding the old courthouse, the parade ended and the costume contest awardees were selected.

There was food, fun and a festival atmosphere as dog training exercises were demonstrated and folks socialized. We were thrilled to have chosen this day to visit.

Besides friendly people, McKinney offers a great assortment of antique and home decor stores, as well as, nice restaurants. We hope to travel there again!

McKinney has several events throughout the year that sound like fun. Here is a list of them:

The Downtown Art Walk (Spring)-local and regional artists

• Last visit to McKinney: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2010

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM

This is a very well done page. I never knew there were so many antique shops in McKinney!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 8:01 AM

A great page on another one of the small towns in Texas. A London pub, an old fashioned soda fountain, a doggie parade, all sounds like an interesting visit. Great new shopping updates.....

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Another marvelous page, Veronica! I "swear" Texas must have some of the most charming towns in the country! You & I would make good shopping partners because I love antiques! Love the doggy parade too!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 2:16 AM

That Mardi Gras "Float" is just no less than precious!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 6:03 PM

Mardi Gras Doggie parades and homemade ice cream contests, sounds like my kind of place!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Quite a concentration of antique shops in this lovely small town. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but in Virginia City, Nevada, I once saw a pickup truck with the slogan: "We buy junk. We sell antiques.") Interesting historical information in your tips.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Your tips have a nice historical thread running through them the shops are all very charming

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 3:21 PM

We had a cat named Ambrosia!! Loved these tips and photos of the old Cotton Mill, Soda Fountain, Courthouse, Historic District, all the lovely shops, the architecture, and the interesting history...very star-worthy.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM

This sounds like a lot of fun ! I had a good laugh about your intro photo - Mardi Gras dogs :-)) Ha, but good that I don't live nearby - after entering Ambrosia shop, I won't get out anymore :-))

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in McKinney

Have you been to McKinney?