"SMALL TOWN LIFE AT ITS MAX--McKinney,Texas!" Top 5 Page for this destination McKinney by VeronicaG
McKinney Travel Guide: 123 reviews and 205 photos
UPDATE: June, 2010 It was in the 90's temp-wise but we threw caution to the wind and headed to McKinney for their June Garden Club Tour, where we wandered through seven gardens and four attractive homes. Sunburned, but happy we finished the day with some very good ideas for landscaping and interior decorating. We also stumbled onto another annual event, the Ice Cream Crank-Off--wonder what this is? See my Things to Do and Restaurant tips for more....
Since moving to Texas, we've loved using the weekends to travel to small towns to either acquaint ourselves with the area or to join in on some of the festivals or other activities.
While New Orleans has its annual Mardi Gras, there are some towns that have become a little more creative with their celebration!
Unbeknownst to us, this particular weekend McKinney, Texas was celebrating the fifth annual KREWE OF BARKUS, Mardi Gras Dog Parade. The theme was Hounds Go To Hollywood and it was the most remarkable pet event we've ever seen.
As the congenial crowd gathered along the sidewalks surrounding the Old Collins County Courthouse in the historic downtown area, we were quickly encircled by dogs of all sizes--some dressed in hilarious, imaginative costumes--accompanied by family members who also wore clever costumes.
Small dogs mingled with large dogs, fancy dogs met nose to nose with 'regular joes'--each decked out in blond wigs, fancy hats or elaborate outfits. It was something to see!
At 2pm as planned, an official parade car pulled to the front of the crowd and three musicians stepped forward to sound their horns announcing the start of the parade.
Little dogs led the pack, followed by medium sized, with large animals trailing behind. Once the entire parade circumnavigated the square surrounding the old courthouse, the parade ended and the costume contest awardees were selected.
There was food, fun and a festival atmosphere as dog training exercises were demonstrated and folks socialized. We were thrilled to have chosen this day to visit.
Besides friendly people, McKinney offers a great assortment of antique and home decor stores, as well as, nice restaurants. We hope to travel there again!
McKinney has several events throughout the year that sound like fun. Here is a list of them:
The Downtown Art Walk (Spring)-local and regional artists
An old time hand-cranked Ice Cream Contest (August)-homemade treat
Scare on the Square (Halloween Evening)-hayrides and trick or treating
A Dickens of a Christmas (December)- an old fashioned holiday
December in Downtown McKinney (December)--A shopper's paradise
If you adore gardening or deeply appreciate someone else's green thumb, then The McKinney Garden Club tour is for you!... more travel advice
The Pantry has become a regular stop for us when visiting McKinney's historic town square. This country-style restaurant... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
McKinney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SMALL TOWN LIFE AT ITS MAX--McKinney,Texas!"
- "McKinney - North Texas"
- "Keeweechic's McKinney"
- "Amy's Mckinney Page"
- "Growing Suburb North of Dallas"
- "shiran_d's new Mckinney Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in McKinney
- Hotels in McKinney
- Transportation in McKinney
- Nightlife in McKinney
- Restaurants in McKinney
- Shopping in McKinney
- Warnings and Dangers in McKinney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in McKinney
- 37 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to McKinney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in McKinney
- updated a McKinney Travel Page "SMALL TOWN LIFE AT ITS MAX--McKinney,Texas!"
- Wrote a Review A Peek At Some Lovely Gardens! in McKinney Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Peek At Some Lovely Gardens!"
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's McKinney travel pages
Photos in McKinneySee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue