"Kemah--The Waterfront and Boardwalk" Top 5 Page for this destination Kemah by VeronicaG

Kemah Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 86 photos

An Afternoon By The Water

UPDATE:Hurricane Ike brought high water to Kemah in September, 2008. We hope it will be restored quickly and attracting visitors once again.

We recently visited friends in the Houston area who were our former neighbors in New Jersey. Since moving to the Dallas metroplex we've longed to be near the water once again, so after leaving their home in League City and driving a short distance to the waterfront, they introduced us to Kemah.

Kemah is a popular destination along Galveston Bay. The name comes from an Indian word meaning "wind in face". It includes a marina, boardwalk and entertainment venue.

As we neared the crowded boardwalk, we spied pelicans and cormorants fishing for the next meal; the air was salty and there was a pleasant breeze. Families were loading up for a boat ride, browsing through souvenir-packed shops or lining up for the amusements.

In the square a kiddy show involving pirates caught the attention of some of the children, while squirting water spouts diverted others seeking respite from the humidity. Kemah Boardwalk looked like a perfect way to spend a leisurely afternoon.

The Answer To A Warm Day

A moment after I snapped my photo, several children ran through this cooling station eager to be squirted.

Arrrrrrrrgh...

This Pirate kept the kiddies enthralled with his stories of the Sea! Could this be pirate Jean Lafitte's long lost relative?

• Last visit to Kemah: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2008

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Sarah's brother lives a few minutes from here. Looks like I will go visit the next time we are down.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 12:06 PM

GREAT read about Kemah boardwalk! Maria loves Texas :-)) and can't wait to meet with y'all!! Thank you for leaving me your comments!! I appreciate :-))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2008 at 9:10 AM

I must admit that I have never heard of this place, but I really like the idea of having a giraffe at christmas. *winkygrin* Fabulous little page here.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM

update I love reading about small, unknown places, and your descriptions help to transport me there. You have a keen and discerning "eye" for making everyday events and places seem exotic.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 10:05 AM

It looks like it was a worthwhile trip to the coast! I know what you mean - being in landlocked Zambia for 3 years was an adjustment for a guy from the Maritime Provinces!

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2006 at 5:43 PM

This looks like a lovely way to spend the day! It seems that you are enjoying Texas!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2006 at 3:20 AM

An excellent page, Veronica. I also love to smell the salt air, hear the seagulls, and watch the pelicans catching their dinner from the sea. You may become a birder, here in Texas.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 10:25 AM

Ahh :-) I bet you missed the sea ! This town indeed seems to have deserved its name - looks quite windy :-)

• Nov 2, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Thanks Veronica, for viewing those cute penguins. I loved reading about the Beast ride. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing all these wonderful stories. 'njoy the up & coming w/end!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 8:51 PM

Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookies, I can just imagine how good that fudge was :-) Nice page!

VeronicaG