Jefferson Hotel Tips by VeronicaG
Jefferson Hotels: 928 reviews and 20 photos
We had the pleasure of viewing the Mardi Gras parade from the balcony of this historic hotel. The Jefferson Hotel seems to be encased within a Victorian time capsule! (pictures 2-3)
This structure began its life as a cotton warehouse, but was converted to a hotel in the early 1900's. It was known as the Crystal Palace during the "flapper days" of the 1920's.
All twenty-five rooms seem to be simply, but authentically furnished, each having its own bathroom. Its location is smack dab in the middle of the main street, convenient to antique shops and restaurants and Mardi Gras Parade route.
We paid $5 each to enjoy the parade from its iron balcony--a small amount to be sure considering the fun we had from this perch!
UPDATE: On our most recent visit we had lunch at *Lamache's Italian Restaurant, which is located off the lobby of the hotel. You'll be treated to the best bowl of Minestone Soup you've probably ever tasted--order it as a first course!
(picture 4) *Lamache's Italian Restaurant serves lunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:30am-2:00pm and dinners Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday from 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. and on Friday and Saturday from 5:00 p.m-9:00 p.m.
Address: 124 W. Austin St., Jefferson,Tx
Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: less than US$20
Aunt Pittypat's Room
We lodged in Aunt Pittypat's room at Scarlett O'Hardy's. The massive carved bed and graceful period style furnishings established the fact that this was a room which was beautiful, as well as, a cozy oasis. I felt completely whisked away to another age!
However, as a nod to the times, a small tv was perched on a piece of furniture near the bed. Plantation shutters kept the room adequately darkened against the early morning light.
I loved the claw-footed tub in the roomy bathroom. It reminded me of the one we had in our 130 year old Pennsylvania house! We've already signed up to return in December for another Historic House Tour, but we're on the waiting list...so I hope it works out!
*Aunt Pittypat's room at this time was $135 per night.
Address: 410 Taylor St., Jefferson, Tx
Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Scarlett O'Hardy's B&B
We lodged at Scarlett O'Hardy's on our second visit to Jefferson and were treated like royalty. We lodged in Aunt Pittypat's room, one of five romantically furnished rooms in this B&B modeled after the antebellum mansion from Gone With The Wind.
Although this B&B was constructed in modern days, it resembles the Old South in it's decor. Lavish furnishings and bright, highly detailed wallpaper blend to create a lovely ambience. The owner, Bobbie Hardy was a vivacious host!
Each morning we'd be called to the dining room for a sumptuous breakfast. One morning we were served Stuffed French Toast with Crispy Bacon Strips, Muffins, OJ and Fruit Soup. Our last morning we sampled Sausage Roll-ups, Mini Muffins, Fresh Fruit Salad, OJ and an Egg Casserole. Breakfasts were fantastic!
Bobbie's passion for the movie, Gone With The Wind, led her to create a museum containing many objects and collectibles from and related to the film. The museum sits to one side in a separate building and very interesting to tour.
Unique Qualities: An elegant B&B with first class treatment
Address: 410 Taylor St., Jefferson,Tx
Comparison: about average
Theme: Bed and Breakfast
Not many places can boast hosting the likes of Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, Oscar Wilde and Lady Bird Johnson. The Excelsior House lodged many famous travelers since the 1850's and continues to offer rooms to those who travel to Jefferson, Texas.
The hotel sits close to the historic town center and its wonderfully restored buildings. One step inside and you experience what it must have been like to live in the hey-day of this busy riverboat town. The lobby is comfortable and refined, with polished woodwork and antique furnishings (picture 2).
A pretty fountain bubbles in the tidy courtyard, where one can relax and enjoy a peaceful moment to plan your next activity (picture 3).
Prices begin at $119 and feature period-style rooms with lovely antique furnishings.
Address: 211 West Austin St., Jefferson, Tx
More Reviews (33)
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Jefferson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour"
- "One of my favorite towns"
- "Historic Jefferson was FUN."
- "Keeweechic's Jefferson"
- "Jefferson - Great Weekend Getaway"
- "Jefferson Texas"
- "Basaic Jefferson Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jefferson
- Hotels in Jefferson
- Transportation in Jefferson
- Nightlife in Jefferson
- Restaurants in Jefferson
- Shopping in Jefferson
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hampton Inn & Suites Pensacola University Mall
- Casa Astarita Bed and Breakfast Sorrento
- Club Hotel Eilat
- Hotel Moremar
- Austin Suites Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Atlanta Airport
- Travelodge Basildon
- Best Western Sea Island Inn
- Harrington Hall Hotel
- Centre Point Saladeng
- Claridge Casino Hotel
- Alaska Gold Rush B And B
- Hotel Neufchatel
- New Hiroden
Badges & Stats in Jefferson
- 37 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Jefferson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jefferson
Read real reviews about Jefferson Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Basin Bayou Cruise- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Gone With the Wind Museum- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Carriage Rides- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Jay Gould's Railroad Car- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- The Texas History Museum- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Jefferson Playhouse- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Jefferson Historical Museum- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- First United Methodist- 1 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Atalanta Railroad Car- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Schluter Home- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All Jefferson Things to Do