Jefferson Favorite Tips by VeronicaG Top 5 Page for this destination
Jefferson Favorites: 1 reviews and 2 photos
The Steamboat, Mittie Stephens
Favorite thing: We discovered this replica of a steamboat known as the Mittie Stephens at Jefferson's Historical Museum. A ship's bell resting in the museum's basement, is all they have to remind them of a tragic event connected with this boat.
The Mittie Stephens was first used as part of the Confederacy war effort and she served as a "naval packet' for twelve months. She was sold to civilian owners in 1864, who used her on the Missouri River. In 1866, she began making roundtrips between New Orleans and Jefferson.
One night as she was steaming along Caddo Lake towards Jefferson in order to deliver her 107 passengers, a torch basket that used to light her way ignited a stacked pile of hay on the deck.
As the boat attempted to make its way to shore, the sternwheeler continued to crank. Some of the passengers who jumped overboard were sucked into the wheel; others didn't realize how close to shore they were nor how shallow the water was, so burned to death. Sixty three people lost their lives that night and the boat was destroyed. There were about 43 survivors.
More information on this, see "The Mitty Stephens Disaster" by Archie P. McDonald, PhD on TexasEscapes.com
More Reviews (36)
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Jefferson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour"
- "Basaic Jefferson Page"
- "One of my favorite towns"
- "Historic Jefferson was FUN."
- "Keeweechic's Jefferson"
- "Jefferson - Great Weekend Getaway"
- "Jefferson Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jefferson
- Hotels in Jefferson
- Transportation in Jefferson
- Nightlife in Jefferson
- Restaurants in Jefferson
- Shopping in Jefferson
- See All...
Explore the World
- Manila Hotels
- Honolulu Hotels
- Ocean City Hotels
- Lake Minnewaska Hotels
- Kalamalka Lake Hotels
- Pymatuning State Park Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Narragansett Beach Hotels
- Marin City Hotels
- Beavers Bend State Park Hotels
- Naga City Hotels
- Negril Hotels
- Mombasa Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Laoag City
Badges & Stats in Jefferson
- 37 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Jefferson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jefferson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gone With the Wind Museum- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Carriage Rides- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Jay Gould's Railroad Car- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Basin Bayou Cruise- 1 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Cypress Valley Education Center- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- First United Methodist- 1 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Atalanta Railroad Car- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Jefferson Historical Museum- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Jefferson Playhouse- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Carnegie Library- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All Jefferson Things to Do