"Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Jefferson by VeronicaG

Jefferson Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 173 photos

A Former Riverboat Town

UPDATE: Early May we spent a fun-filled weekend in Jefferson. A historic house tour and re-enactment of a Civil War battle brought us to this pleasant little Texas town, which is about three hours from where we live.

I'd encourage anyone who is traveling in East Texas to drop by, it will be a worthwhile stop! I've added lots of updates, new pics and places.

The mid-1800's were glorious times for Jefferson, Texas. Riverboats plied the Big Cypress Bayou carrying cotton and other tonnage to aid the Confederacy, using this area as a "turning basin'.

During the Civil War, Jefferson was second in importance to Galveston in the amount of tonnage supplying the South. In fact, many early settlers decided to make this town their home as East Texas grew in size.

Jefferson began a slow decline after the Red River's water level dropped, affecting Big Cypress Bayou. The US Corps of Engineers had done some work up river that caused the change, and the shipping industry became wary of using that means of transport.

The good news is that Jefferson rebounded and is now a thriving tourist attraction with its historic buildings, antique shops and special events. It's known as the "Bed and Breakfast Capitol of Texas".

We traveled to Jefferson to celebrate our anniversary and just happened to experience a Texas-style Mardi Gras! It was a wonderful way to mark the occasion!

Battle of Port Jefferson

Big Cyprus Bayou

• Last visit to Jefferson: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2008

• annabear08's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I sure did like Jefferson!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM

We had a lovely dinner in Jefferson this weekend. I would recommend LeMarches for more than just Minestrone!

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I think I've only been to the Hamburger joint. Auntie Skinner's sounds fun. I'll have to go there next time I'm in Jefferson! I love the fudge shop! And have been to several of the shops. Mom and I used to do Beanie Baby runs to several back in the day :D

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM

Glad you didn't get caught in the crossfire, Scarlet!! Looks like you had a fun time. Interesting southern architecture and lots of good tips. Scarlet's B&B looked like a great stay.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM

Terrific new tips, Veronica. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with all the events taking place & the new things to see and do!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Great Anniversary trip :) Mardi Gras here sounds like a lot of fun :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Marvelous pages, Veronica! Loved the Diamond Bessie story. Also appreciate all the background information. Would love to see the Gone With the Wind Museum. This is my kind of place to visit. Just wonderful.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Thank you for the excellent virtual tour of Jefferson. It sounds like a great place to celebrate an anniversary and Mardi Gras.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Mardi Gras is mainly a Catholic thing over here, so I'm surprised it's such a big celebration in a town where the Catholic church is only one of many denominations. Looks like a lovely town, in any case. I'm sure I'd like the Gone With the Wind museum.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Jefferson

Have you been to Jefferson?

Latest Activity in Jefferson