"Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Jefferson by VeronicaG
Jefferson Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 173 photos
UPDATE: Early May we spent a fun-filled weekend in Jefferson. A historic house tour and re-enactment of a Civil War battle brought us to this pleasant little Texas town, which is about three hours from where we live.
I'd encourage anyone who is traveling in East Texas to drop by, it will be a worthwhile stop! I've added lots of updates, new pics and places.
The mid-1800's were glorious times for Jefferson, Texas. Riverboats plied the Big Cypress Bayou carrying cotton and other tonnage to aid the Confederacy, using this area as a "turning basin'.
During the Civil War, Jefferson was second in importance to Galveston in the amount of tonnage supplying the South. In fact, many early settlers decided to make this town their home as East Texas grew in size.
Jefferson began a slow decline after the Red River's water level dropped, affecting Big Cypress Bayou. The US Corps of Engineers had done some work up river that caused the change, and the shipping industry became wary of using that means of transport.
The good news is that Jefferson rebounded and is now a thriving tourist attraction with its historic buildings, antique shops and special events. It's known as the "Bed and Breakfast Capitol of Texas".
We traveled to Jefferson to celebrate our anniversary and just happened to experience a Texas-style Mardi Gras! It was a wonderful way to mark the occasion!
Although this popular place is called The Bakery, you can find more here than just pastry! Homemade breads and a quaint... more travel advice
Granny Had It! is the perfect name for an antique shop, especially since I found something that my grandmother actually... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Jefferson Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jefferson-Antiques, B&B's, Mardi Gras & Home Tour"
- "Basaic Jefferson Page"
- "One of my favorite towns"
- "Historic Jefferson was FUN."
- "Keeweechic's Jefferson"
- "Jefferson - Great Weekend Getaway"
- "Jefferson Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jefferson
- Hotels in Jefferson
- Transportation in Jefferson
- Nightlife in Jefferson
- Restaurants in Jefferson
- Shopping in Jefferson
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Jefferson
- 37 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Jefferson?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jefferson
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue