"Irving, Texas--A Charming Community" Top 5 Page for this destination Irving by VeronicaG
Irving Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 146 photos
Most recent tip (APRIL)The 2008 Byron Nelson Championship made an exciting Saturday afternoon event. I've added two new SPORTS TIPS on this experience.
Also, an upscale Mexican restaurant was the latest dining spot we discovered in this lovely community.
While Irving has the distinction of being home base for the Dallas Cowboys and the international airport, it is also the location for the charming, master-planned community of Las Colinas. My first foray into Texas began here.
We lodged at the Omni Mandalay, which became our home base while we oriented ourselves to the surrounding communities. My husband's company is moving its New Jersey branch to the Dallas area, where the main office is located.
Although Las Colinas has a number of condos and apartment units, it seems most of its population appear during the work week, returning to their homes in other locations after hours. I think this might be different as winter turns to Spring, perhaps people are more inclined to dally.
While venturing out on a walk one day, we discovered the Mandalay Canal. It snakes its way past a few restaurants, tall office buildings and interesting shops; their facades Old World in design. In balmier weather, I imagine this pretty section is teeming with people enjoying lunch, socializing or relaxing as they watch the Coots swim up the canal. Trees shade the terraces and a walkway winds past the towering structures overlooking the waterway.
On the main street, people were walking their dogs, jogging or taking care of business in the various stores. The rear of our hotel faced a large lake along which sit more apartments and condos. A sidewalk edged the lake, so we explored this area, too. The canal meandered in this direction; by following its course we found lovely courtyards and swimming pools hidden behind the apartment complexes...almost like secretive gardens discretely tucked away to be enjoyed for their serenity.
The 2008 Byron Nelson Championship was well attended on the day my husband and I visited for the Third Round of Play.... more travel advice
Via Real seems like it's been plucked right from the streets of Santa Fe and that's the impression they want to convey.... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Irving Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Irving, Texas--A Charming Community"
- "The Mustangs of Los Colinas"
- "Keeweechic's Irving"
- "Irving, Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Irving
- Hotels in Irving
- Transportation in Irving
- Restaurants in Irving
- Warnings and Dangers in Irving
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Irving
- 16 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Irving?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Irving
Photos in IrvingSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue