"Irving, Texas--A Charming Community" Top 5 Page for this destination Irving by VeronicaG

Irving Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 146 photos

Las Colinas

Most recent tip (APRIL)The 2008 Byron Nelson Championship made an exciting Saturday afternoon event. I've added two new SPORTS TIPS on this experience.

Also, an upscale Mexican restaurant was the latest dining spot we discovered in this lovely community.

While Irving has the distinction of being home base for the Dallas Cowboys and the international airport, it is also the location for the charming, master-planned community of Las Colinas. My first foray into Texas began here.

We lodged at the Omni Mandalay, which became our home base while we oriented ourselves to the surrounding communities. My husband's company is moving its New Jersey branch to the Dallas area, where the main office is located.

Although Las Colinas has a number of condos and apartment units, it seems most of its population appear during the work week, returning to their homes in other locations after hours. I think this might be different as winter turns to Spring, perhaps people are more inclined to dally.

While venturing out on a walk one day, we discovered the Mandalay Canal. It snakes its way past a few restaurants, tall office buildings and interesting shops; their facades Old World in design. In balmier weather, I imagine this pretty section is teeming with people enjoying lunch, socializing or relaxing as they watch the Coots swim up the canal. Trees shade the terraces and a walkway winds past the towering structures overlooking the waterway.

On the main street, people were walking their dogs, jogging or taking care of business in the various stores. The rear of our hotel faced a large lake along which sit more apartments and condos. A sidewalk edged the lake, so we explored this area, too. The canal meandered in this direction; by following its course we found lovely courtyards and swimming pools hidden behind the apartment complexes...almost like secretive gardens discretely tucked away to be enjoyed for their serenity.

• Last visit to Irving: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2008

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Nice page here = loved the golf course

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Very nice additions to your Irving page. I especially liked your new restaurant tips.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM

Your restaurant tips for Cool River made me want the Shrimp Diablo! I may have to go soon!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I always thought Mandalay was a city in Burma (with a "Road" going to it), but now I learn that it is also a canal (and a hotel) in Irving, Texas. This does indeed sound like a charming town.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Nice little town, so relaxing :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 5:22 AM

What terrific restaurant tips! This appears to be a lovely area with natural and man-made beauty. You do such a nice job with your helpful, interesting tips...no wonder you are #1 Rookie!

VeronicaG