"Grapevine, Texas--Friendly and Historic!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Grapevine by VeronicaG

Grapevine Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 199 photos

The Oldest Town in Tarrant County

Fall 2009 Update: Mac's American Grill was a stand-out for their Sunday Brunch fruit and pastry bar. See my new restaurant tip.

While in the Dallas area finishing up details regarding our move to Texas, we chanced upon Grapevine. The town was immersed in the celebration of Main Street Days held in mid-May. People filled the streets mingling with neighbors, purchasing sugar-sprinkled funnel cakes and browsing through the artisans tents while listening to the pulsing tunes of various entertainers performing on stages placed in strategic places throughout town.

Grapevine's historic area includes restored town buildings, a vintage railroad and wine trails. All of which we hope to explore once we unload our worldly goods in a nearby community!

*Here's a little of its history: The site began experiencing settlement in the 1840's and was known by several different names. Around 1854, the name "Grape Vine" was suggested by resident Judge James Moorehead since the town was near Grape Vine Prairie where numerous wild grapes grew. In 1914, the post office legally changed the name to Grapevine. At that time, the town had 1200 residents, numerous businesses, including grocers, banks and hotels.

*(This information borrowed from The Handbook of Texas Online)

An Old-Fashioned Home Town Feel

Quaint Historic Shopping Area

• Last visit to Grapevine: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2009

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Nice addition, and great restaurant tip when visiting the Grapevine/Colleyville (?) area. Someday I'm going to make Sunday Brunches a weekly rather than occasional thing!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I never ealized so much wine was made in Texas. This sounds like a town to seek out next time I'm in Dallas. Cheers - leyle

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM

Excellent new pages and suggestions for visiting Grapevine.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 8:12 AM

I have a gift certificate to Main Street Bread Company... I guess I will have to try it!@

• May 27, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Uncle Julio's tortilla soup was about the worst I have ever tasted and the smallest portion for the price. Forget it.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 12:39 PM

This all sound fun Veronica lots to do and some wine tasting too I particularly liked the poem and the skater = nice work

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM

great tips Veronica!

• davequ's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for stopping by (ain't the parrots great?) I love the wide lake vista w/tree. Thanks much for sharing.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 9:49 AM

My kind of place to visit. The winefest looks grand, and the houses for the wine tasting are darling. Such an "Americana" kind of place. The hotel resort looks fantastic. Excellent job, Veronica!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Interesting & enthusiastic tips! Is this where the expression "I heard it on the grapevine" comes from?

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Grapevine

Have you been to Grapevine?