"Granbury--A Genteel Place With Loads of Grace" Top 5 Page for this destination Granbury by VeronicaG
Granbury Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 194 photos
UPDATE: Granbury's Candlelight House Tour in early December was a wonderful introduction to the Christmas season--See my new Things to Do tip.
Granbury is less than an hours ride southwest of Ft. Worth along Rt. 377S, which threads past cow and horse pastures, small towns, new home developments, empty fields and clusters of trees offering muted hues of color, over a small bridge spanning the Trinity River, passed the occasional windmill, stumpy cacti, a road named Goforth and through Parker and Hood County.
Granbury, although only having a population of a little over 6800, is a charming little place where the town square was the first in Texas to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The town's collection of 19th century buildings have been protected since l970, when local legislation moved to protect this jewel of a town.
The Brazos River eases past the town and in 1969 was dammed to form Lake Granbury, which is popular for water sports such as swimming, boating, waterskiing and fishing.
Town history records Charles Barnard as Hood County's first Anglo settler, who arrived from the northeast. He and his brother, George, established an Indian trading post near Waco. A second trading post on the Brazos River was included in 1847.
Charles brought his wife, Juanah, of Spanish descent, to the area. She was a former Comanche captive who the Barnard brothers ransomed. Other noted settlers were Elizabeth Crockett (Davy Crockett's widow) and son, Robert Patton Crockett. The family was granted land in the area as a gesture of appreciation for Davy Crockett's bravery at the Alamo.
According to a guide at the old jail, Granbury was the stomping ground of horse thieves and outlaws in the 1800's. Often the town took justice into its own hands when a sheriff was waylaid, meting out their own form of punishment, which may have resulted in a hanging or two.
Today, Granbury is a genteel town with a lovely town square. The antique/ gift shops and restaurants find cozy nooks in wonderfully restored buildings. An Opera House still invites those seeking entertainment to step inside; a regal looking courthouse continues to be the hub of business and if you like what you see, B&B's and a few motels can extend your visit.
We rang in the holiday season at Granbury's Candlelight Tour of wonderful old houses in early December. Since it was the... more travel advice
According to the walking tour guide, the WAGON YARD was once used to stable horses for those who wished to shop or... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Granbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Granbury--A Genteel Place With Loads of Grace"
- "Basaic Granbury Page"
- "Keeweechic's Granbury"
- "Granbury - Texas town rich in history!"
- "Close to Dallas/Fort Worth"
- "tubascoot's new Granbury Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granbury
- Hotels in Granbury
- Transportation in Granbury
- Nightlife in Granbury
- Restaurants in Granbury
- Shopping in Granbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granbury
- 30 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Granbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granbury
Photos in GranburySee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue