"Granbury--A Genteel Place With Loads of Grace" Top 5 Page for this destination Granbury by VeronicaG

Granbury Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 194 photos

A Jewel Of A Town

UPDATE: Granbury's Candlelight House Tour in early December was a wonderful introduction to the Christmas season--See my new Things to Do tip.

Granbury is less than an hours ride southwest of Ft. Worth along Rt. 377S, which threads past cow and horse pastures, small towns, new home developments, empty fields and clusters of trees offering muted hues of color, over a small bridge spanning the Trinity River, passed the occasional windmill, stumpy cacti, a road named Goforth and through Parker and Hood County.

Granbury, although only having a population of a little over 6800, is a charming little place where the town square was the first in Texas to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The town's collection of 19th century buildings have been protected since l970, when local legislation moved to protect this jewel of a town.

The Brazos River eases past the town and in 1969 was dammed to form Lake Granbury, which is popular for water sports such as swimming, boating, waterskiing and fishing.

Town history records Charles Barnard as Hood County's first Anglo settler, who arrived from the northeast. He and his brother, George, established an Indian trading post near Waco. A second trading post on the Brazos River was included in 1847.

Charles brought his wife, Juanah, of Spanish descent, to the area. She was a former Comanche captive who the Barnard brothers ransomed. Other noted settlers were Elizabeth Crockett (Davy Crockett's widow) and son, Robert Patton Crockett. The family was granted land in the area as a gesture of appreciation for Davy Crockett's bravery at the Alamo.

According to a guide at the old jail, Granbury was the stomping ground of horse thieves and outlaws in the 1800's. Often the town took justice into its own hands when a sheriff was waylaid, meting out their own form of punishment, which may have resulted in a hanging or two.

Today, Granbury is a genteel town with a lovely town square. The antique/ gift shops and restaurants find cozy nooks in wonderfully restored buildings. An Opera House still invites those seeking entertainment to step inside; a regal looking courthouse continues to be the hub of business and if you like what you see, B&B's and a few motels can extend your visit.

• Last visit to Granbury: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2010

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Great information on Acton cemetary & Elizabeth Patton Crockett!! I would love to visit there.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I believe Sarah went to the Nutt House before we were married!

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I wish we had a Barking Rocks Winery where I live here in "Barking Town" - Sounds great !

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Nice tips here on the historical side of Granbury = I would so love the shopping here too

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 6:39 AM

These are great tips, Veronica! I really learned a lot. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know much about General H.B. Granbury or (Granberry). Thanks!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 3:10 PM

It looks a very "Old Worldey" kinda place with a lovely atmosphere! Mind you a "Nut House" means mental asylum in Britain, so funny calling a place with that name. "Hello I'm a Nutt and so is my brother" LOL..Tim

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Nice tips! I actually had my bachelorette party in Granbury - a whole weekend... it was a lovely place to relax & have fun.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 7:46 PM

What a nice little town. Thank you for the tour!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2006 at 8:33 AM

One thing I DON'T want to do is wind up in a Texas slammer!! :-) Let's meet at the Nut House instead and I'm sure we would enjoy.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the memories. I haven't been here in years but it doesn't seem to have changed much. It is still a lovely place to spend an afternoon.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Granbury

Have you been to Granbury?