"The Dinosaurs of Glen Rose" Glen Rose by VeronicaG
Glen Rose Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 151 photos
UPDATE: In June 2008, we returned to explore the dino tracks and swim in the Paluxy River one summer afternoon...and to think we could follow alongside their formidable footprints--it was such a unique experience!
Dec. 2007: We traveled to Glen Rose to have another look at the dinosaur tracks in site #1 and #2 with some of our family visiting from Chile. Our son, daughter-in-law and two grandkids had never seen anything like this before--I only wish we had had more time!
As a child, I often wondered what it would have been like to have lived alongside the dinosaurs. Paleontology has always interested me, so when I read about Dinosaur Valley State Park I wanted to see it. In fact, the idea thrilled me!
The park sits in Glen Rose, known as 'Gateway to the Hill Country' which is in Somervell County, the smallest county in Texas. Residents make up a population of 2,400.
The park comprises 1,523 acres through which the Paluxy River runs, cutting a circuitous path through rock that was created about 113 million years ago. It's here that dinosaur footprints made millions of years ago were discovered.
Lush vegetation thrived along the river, attracting plant eating dinosaurs wanting a snack or two. These vegetarians consequently attracted carnivores. Dinosaurs moved along the edges of the water, their footprints leaving marks in the soft mud, which then hardened.
Dinosaur Valley has four separate viewing sites, where various prehistoric creatures left their mark. A brochure highlighting these places can be picked up at the entrance to the park, where a small museum can be visited inside the park office. Admission to the park is $5.00.
'Crypto' is the shortened name for a bacteria that can be found in lakes, rivers and even swimming pools during the... more travel advice
As we watched a number of people dive or jump from a small hillside into the river, our 13 year old grandson grew... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Glen Rose Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Glen Rose"
- "The Dinosaurs of Glen Rose"
- "An Animal Heritage"
- "Basaic Glen Rose Page"
- "Gene's Glen Rose Page"
- "Vibroverb's Glen Rose"
- "Dinosaurs in Texas?!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Rose
- Hotels in Glen Rose
- Transportation in Glen Rose
- Nightlife in Glen Rose
- Restaurants in Glen Rose
- Shopping in Glen Rose
- Warnings and Dangers in Glen Rose
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Rose
- 13 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Glen Rose?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Rose
Photos in Glen RoseSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue