"The Dinosaurs of Glen Rose" Glen Rose by VeronicaG

Glen Rose Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 151 photos

A Journey Back In Time

UPDATE: In June 2008, we returned to explore the dino tracks and swim in the Paluxy River one summer afternoon...and to think we could follow alongside their formidable footprints--it was such a unique experience!

Dec. 2007: We traveled to Glen Rose to have another look at the dinosaur tracks in site #1 and #2 with some of our family visiting from Chile. Our son, daughter-in-law and two grandkids had never seen anything like this before--I only wish we had had more time!

As a child, I often wondered what it would have been like to have lived alongside the dinosaurs. Paleontology has always interested me, so when I read about Dinosaur Valley State Park I wanted to see it. In fact, the idea thrilled me!

The park sits in Glen Rose, known as 'Gateway to the Hill Country' which is in Somervell County, the smallest county in Texas. Residents make up a population of 2,400.

The park comprises 1,523 acres through which the Paluxy River runs, cutting a circuitous path through rock that was created about 113 million years ago. It's here that dinosaur footprints made millions of years ago were discovered.

Lush vegetation thrived along the river, attracting plant eating dinosaurs wanting a snack or two. These vegetarians consequently attracted carnivores. Dinosaurs moved along the edges of the water, their footprints leaving marks in the soft mud, which then hardened.

Dinosaur Valley has four separate viewing sites, where various prehistoric creatures left their mark. A brochure highlighting these places can be picked up at the entrance to the park, where a small museum can be visited inside the park office. Admission to the park is $5.00.

• Last visit to Glen Rose: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2008

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2008 at 5:36 PM

I am glad no one came away with a Crypto-night.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I'm praying that "Ike" won't hit bad (TX & generally stateside). - Yes, Glen Rose is a truly unique spot! Love the pic of that "warm salmon orange" colored hill!! Wish I was there!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Nice additions to your oage. The river looks refreshing.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 7:45 AM

What a cool place, my nieces and nephew would love it!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM

What a delight to return for more fascinating information about Glen Rose with the added bonus of seeing wonderful photos of your family. Such a grand place to educate as well as to entertain adults and children alike.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I can see why kids would love this place especially little boys = fascinating how the tracks were made!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Very interesting ! I wasn't aware of this park, ahh :-) dinosaurs - kids' dream, no matter how old kid is :-) I'd love to visit it as well :-) smiles from a big kid :-)

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Glen Rose

Have you been to Glen Rose?

Latest Activity in Glen Rose