"Georgetown--Historic District, B&B's & University" Georgetown by VeronicaG

Georgetown Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 182 photos

Former stop on the Chisholm Trail

Georgetown, Texas is a mere half hour drive from Austin, a 2 1/2 hour drive from Ft. Worth and less than a three hour drive from Dallas using I-35. Travelers headed for Austin's sights have often stopped by and families visiting Southwestern University know of its appeal.

However, there is enough to see that would justify spending an entire weekend immersed in Georgetown's charm for those just wanting to 'de-stress' for a few days.

A striking courthouse overseeing the townsquare, unique restaurants, restored homes and lovely gift, decor and antique shops are all part of the historic district.  We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend here!

A brief history: The Tonkawa Indians once inhabited this area. Georgetown is named after a resident who donated the land to establish the town in 1868, George Washington Glasscock.

Before long, people from Tennessee, South Carolina and other states of the South, as well as, immigrants from Germany, Czechoslavakia, Switzerland, Austria, Moravia and Sweden came to the area.

The town became a stop on the Chisholm Trail and was important to the transporting of cotton via the railroad once it was completed in 1904. It is home to the oldest university in Texas, Southwestern U, founded in 1873.

• Last visit to Georgetown: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2008

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM

What a lovely town this is! And such a gorgeous cave to visit!! Oh my, I think, I couldn't pass these lovely shops and would most probably bring such a cute glass pumkin home. And I love your B&B :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Fine photos in your tips and travelogues! I like the looks of the Inner Space Cavern -- and the historic buildings.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2008 at 12:44 PM

You always manage to find divine desserts! The caves look really interesting, we saw a fish that had lost all of it's pigment in caves in Slovenia, really freaky.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Just read everything written after Oct. 16. WOW! What a wonderful town Georgetown seems to be. Your tips are absolutely outstanding. Sure wanted to visit after reading your insights, descriptions.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I do love poppies and there seems a multitude here :( but bats oh how I hate them = we have too many in our village!!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 6:24 AM

I want a whole field of those fabulous poppies!! I am reminded of Sanford,Florida when I see this town. Same vintage. You are right, these little towns are up my alley. Looks like an interesting and fun weekend.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I lived so close, and never visited Georgetown. Thanks... and I will try those blue cheese mashed potatoes next time!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Sorry Robbie (magpies), I'm sure my husband wouldn't be interested in my shopping tips either!!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 6:28 AM

Glad that you enjoyed your week-end visit to Georgetown. It sounds like another great little Texas town.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

Have you been to Georgetown?