"Georgetown--Historic District, B&B's & University" Georgetown by VeronicaG
Georgetown Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 182 photos
Georgetown, Texas is a mere half hour drive from Austin, a 2 1/2 hour drive from Ft. Worth and less than a three hour drive from Dallas using I-35. Travelers headed for Austin's sights have often stopped by and families visiting Southwestern University know of its appeal.
However, there is enough to see that would justify spending an entire weekend immersed in Georgetown's charm for those just wanting to 'de-stress' for a few days.
A striking courthouse overseeing the townsquare, unique restaurants, restored homes and lovely gift, decor and antique shops are all part of the historic district. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend here!
A brief history: The Tonkawa Indians once inhabited this area. Georgetown is named after a resident who donated the land to establish the town in 1868, George Washington Glasscock.
Before long, people from Tennessee, South Carolina and other states of the South, as well as, immigrants from Germany, Czechoslavakia, Switzerland, Austria, Moravia and Sweden came to the area.
The town became a stop on the Chisholm Trail and was important to the transporting of cotton via the railroad once it was completed in 1904. It is home to the oldest university in Texas, Southwestern U, founded in 1873.
The San Gabriel River is part of the Brazos River system, which flows through Williamson County. It was named Rio de San... more travel advice
Note:The retail end of this shop has closed; Annarella, continues to help design lovely homes After a memorable meal at... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Georgetown--Historic District, B&B's & University"
- "JUST AT THE EDGE OF THE AUSTIN HUSTLE & BUSTLE"
- "Keeweechic's Georgetown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 24 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Follow the River at San Gabriel Park"
- updated a Georgetown Travel Page "Georgetown--Historic District, B&B's & University"
- Wrote a Review Follow the River at San Gabriel Park in Georgetown Things to Do
- Commented on one of VeronicaG's Georgetown travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue