"GALVESTON IN DECEMBER" Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston by VeronicaG
Galveston Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 665 photos
UPDATE (January 2009): AN APPEAL--The Galveston Historical Foundation is looking for help. Galveston has suffered from Hurricane Ike's untimely visit, but IT IS rebuilding! Go to www.galvestonhistory.org if you'd like to help in the recovery of this historic city.
(September 2008) Galveston was recently affected by Hurricane Ike as it blew in from the Gulf of Mexico. We trust that this historic Texas town will be built up again quickly!!
When we knew we would be moving from New Jersey to Texas this summer, I did a little research into Galveston and discovered Dickens on the Strand. This year's theme was A Salute to The First World's Fair--London's Great Exhibition of 1851.
Galveston is about an hour's drive from Houston on I-45. We opted to fly to Houston, rent a car and drive to this Victorian shore side city. It was all I had hoped for--a genuine Victorian experience!
The Dickens Fest is held near Galveston's waterfront--to enter 'Queen Victoria's' world one had to pay the moderate price of $10 each. In fact, we not only dined with her and her entourage at the Dickens Feast, but had the opportunity to see her waving to the crowds from her horse-drawn carriage, which progressed down the Strand during the Queens Parade.
Special events were scheduled during this weekend, for which we used the internet to pre-purchase our tickets. A highlight of our trip was to hear Charles Dickens' great-great-grandson do a reading from The Christmas Carol, which has always been one of my favorite Christmas tales. He was joined by his son during the festivities on the Strand.
Galveston sits southeast of Houston in Galveston County and is an easy hour's drive. It's situated on a 32 mile island located about two miles off the mainland of Texas on the Gulf of Mexico.
This area has seen its share of tragedy, one devastating hurricane in 1900 killed nearly 6,000 people. Most of the town was destroyed, making those homes remaining all the more precious!
FOR A GLIMPSE OF THE VICTORIAN HOMES...Be sure not to miss my travelogues on Galveston!
My husband is the one who loves parades, but who wouldn't love this one? It's the QUEEN'S PARADE, complete with horse drawn carriages bearing dignitaries and special guests. This one is bearing the Mayor of Galveston.
As a child did you ever dream of being locked in a candy store overnight with every sugar coated treat and chocolate... more travel advice
As we browsed through the shops on and around Strand Street, I was hoping to find a copy of The Christmas Carol to take... more travel advice
- See All Hats--A Victorian Necessity
- See All The Texas Heroes Monument
- Love Those Little Nooks and Side...
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Galveston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When I Say "The Beach" This is It For Me"
- "GALVESTON IN DECEMBER"
- "Island Living, Texas Style!"
- "A city full of history"
- "Keeweechic's Galveston"
- "My New Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galveston
- Hotels in Galveston
- Transportation in Galveston
- Nightlife in Galveston
- Restaurants in Galveston
- Shopping in Galveston
- Warnings and Dangers in Galveston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galveston
- 34 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Galveston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galveston
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- updated a Galveston Travel Page "GALVESTON IN DECEMBER"
- Wrote a Review Old Fashioned Ice Cream and Candy Shop in Galveston Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Fashioned Ice Cream and Candy Shop"
- Commented on one of H-TownJourneyman's Galveston travel pages
Photos in GalvestonSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue