"GALVESTON IN DECEMBER" Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston by VeronicaG

Galveston Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 665 photos

HERE COME THE VICTORIANS!

UPDATE (January 2009): AN APPEAL--The Galveston Historical Foundation is looking for help. Galveston has suffered from Hurricane Ike's untimely visit, but IT IS rebuilding! Go to www.galvestonhistory.org if you'd like to help in the recovery of this historic city.

(September 2008) Galveston was recently affected by Hurricane Ike as it blew in from the Gulf of Mexico. We trust that this historic Texas town will be built up again quickly!!

When we knew we would be moving from New Jersey to Texas this summer, I did a little research into Galveston and discovered Dickens on the Strand. This year's theme was A Salute to The First World's Fair--London's Great Exhibition of 1851.

Galveston is about an hour's drive from Houston on I-45. We opted to fly to Houston, rent a car and drive to this Victorian shore side city. It was all I had hoped for--a genuine Victorian experience!

The Dickens Fest is held near Galveston's waterfront--to enter 'Queen Victoria's' world one had to pay the moderate price of $10 each. In fact, we not only dined with her and her entourage at the Dickens Feast, but had the opportunity to see her waving to the crowds from her horse-drawn carriage, which progressed down the Strand during the Queens Parade.

Special events were scheduled during this weekend, for which we used the internet to pre-purchase our tickets. A highlight of our trip was to hear Charles Dickens' great-great-grandson do a reading from The Christmas Carol, which has always been one of my favorite Christmas tales. He was joined by his son during the festivities on the Strand.

Galveston sits southeast of Houston in Galveston County and is an easy hour's drive. It's situated on a 32 mile island located about two miles off the mainland of Texas on the Gulf of Mexico.

This area has seen its share of tragedy, one devastating hurricane in 1900 killed nearly 6,000 people. Most of the town was destroyed, making those homes remaining all the more precious!

FOR A GLIMPSE OF THE VICTORIAN HOMES...Be sure not to miss my travelogues on Galveston!

DO YOU LOVE A PARADE?

My husband is the one who loves parades, but who wouldn't love this one? It's the QUEEN'S PARADE, complete with horse drawn carriages bearing dignitaries and special guests. This one is bearing the Mayor of Galveston.

THE GULF OF MEXICO

The WATERFRONT as seen from The Hotel Galvez--the water shimmers on the horizon.

• Last visit to Galveston: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2009

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM

Beautiful buildings and Victorian splendor...this sounds right up my alley. Galveston was hit pretty hard by the hurricaine...I have a friend living there who arrived home from Buenos Aires to the brutal hurrcaine.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Wonderful page! Love your Victorian Splendor Travelogue, amazing photos!! So glad anyway I found your (TX in particular) pages on here!! And yummy...La King's Confectionery, great tips!! Maria

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM

Thanks for your visit and ratings. Very kind of you. Galveston looks like fun! I love Fuddruckers and sweets. Is the ocean warm and swimmable?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 12:41 PM

great tips!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 2:52 PM

What a thorough and lovingly constructed page! Nice old buildings in your tips & travelogues. Thanks for including the GRAND 1894 OPERA HOUSE (even though they don't do operas there any more, but it looks like a fine building). Great that you met M.C.D.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Wow, what a lovely travel this must have been :-)) You did a great job describing the fest, and your pictures speak for themselves :-)) And interesting to find a German word there - did you find out why it is called Garten Verein ? Smiles and hugs :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 11:19 AM

A very entertaining and informative page! I love Victoriana and what a great event in of all places, Galveston! Texas has so much to offer everyone! Great work, Veronica!

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I loved your Galveston page, Veronica. I am amazed at all that Texas has to offer!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 5:16 PM

Lucky you for experiencing this wonderful weekend in Galveston, and lucky us that we were taken on your fantastic virtual tour! Architecture, food, costumes, history, house tours, food, great lodging....WOW!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2006 at 7:22 AM

Excellent page and a delightful Victorian week-end in Galveston. I had no idea that all this was to be seen there.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Galveston

Have you been to Galveston?