"Gainesville--A Touch Of The Victorian in Texas" Gainesville by VeronicaG
Gainesville Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 41 photos
Our first peek at the town of Gainesville was in the Fall and it appealed to us so much that we made a return visit that December. Since moving to Texas, my husband and I have made a concerted effort to really get to know our new state. In Gainesville, we think it was the friendliness of the town that caused us to return.
We motored along 114 W. then I-35W to I-35N and eventually to the 496B exit. Along the way we passed the monolithic Texas Motor Speedway via Dale Earnhardt Way. It was a brisk, sunny day as we traveled through Texas, passing grazing horses, countless cow pastures, expanses of scrubby fields, slight rises in topography and rolled bales of hay looking desolate in empty fields.
A short stretch of road work appeared and then signs reading "PONDER 1 mile", McKinney, Denton and Krum. We skirted Sanger and Valleyview, then signs for the Gainesville Factory shops and Frank Buck Zoo sprung up on the side of the highway. Finally the town itself announced "Gainesville-established in 1850."
The first time we visited was on a Sunday and nearly everything was closed up tight. This recent trip was on a Saturday, so this allowed us to catch a glimpse of small town life on the weekends.
Gainesville has a typical town square, which surrounds a stalwart looking courthouse crowned by a clock tower. Antique, home decor, gift shops and other businesses made up the square. Somewhat beyond this town center lies a small collection of lovely Victorian homes, which are the treasures of Gainesville!
If you stop by early in the day, don't forget to sample a fried pie at the Fried Pie Cafe! Any later, will be too late to try this tasty tidbit.
The Sam Rayburn Home museum is actually about 35 miles from Gainesville. However, since I don't have a page on this... more travel advice
UPDATE: Memorial Day weekend gave us the opportunity to drive through Gainesville and we did not miss the opportunity to... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
THE VICTORIANS OF GAINESVILLE
Written May 9, 2016
MORE VICTORIANS OF GAINESVILLE
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Gainesville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gainesville--A Touch Of The Victorian in Texas"
- "Grew Up On The Railroad"
- "On our way to Oklahoma City"
- "Basaic Gainesville Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gainesville
- Restaurants in Gainesville
- Shopping in Gainesville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gainesville
- 13 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Gainesville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gainesville
Photos in GainesvilleSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue