"Fredericksburg-A Charming and Historic Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by VeronicaG

Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 649 photos

A Restored German Settlement

UPDATE: We discovered on our most recent visit that several stores had changed hands and a bakery or two seemed to have disappeared.

A July visit to Fredericksburg, brought us a different view of this German style town. Flowers were abloom and tourists were everywhere! New things-to-do and restaurant tips are included.

Fredericksburg, is located in Texas Hill Country. Many years ago Native American Indians roamed the hills, then Spanish Conquistadors came to contribute a part of their culture and finally German settlers arrived, establishing the town of Fredericksburg in 1846.

Our plans were to meet our former New Jersey neighbors, John and Bonnie Meade, for a lovely weekend in this wonderfully scenic place. Originally scheduled for May, our trip had to be put on hold due to massive flooding in this area. Fortunately, our Fall travel plans were successful and we met at a B&B on a sun-drenched Friday afternoon.

Main Street is a charming collection of shops, restaurants and bakeries, a biergarten or two, B&B's and historic German-inspired buildings. Most of the churches and art galleries could be found on the side streets. The town was very walkable and there were plenty of parking spaces. We had a memorable visit!

• Last visit to Fredericksburg: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2012

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Very enticing tips here! Never knew about the strong German influence in Texas. Would love to visit the Herb Farm and Der Kuchen Laden!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Very nice. Looks like an interesting place to visit.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 7:22 AM

I'm another fan of Fredericksburg - a charming little town with atractions for everyone. My favourites were the Sunday houses - I could do with one of those, just for me! Nice page. leyle

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 7:46 AM

Veronica, fantastic descriptions you've written on this exceptionally charming town!! We would love the wonderful historical connections (Pacific War Museum & LBJ Museums) & definitely the German influence. Great, great page!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Nice page Veronica - I like the varied architecture & your references to history

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM

An excellently written and informative page on Fredricksburg. It isn't just for shopping is it? I had forgotten that the LBJ museum was located there. Great restaurant tips. I would like to try the fresh herb bread. The wine tour sounds nice also.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Veronica, thanks for letting me know! What a terrific job you've done with Fredericksburg pages. Love info about LBJ. Cute white kitty. Excellent restaurant tips. Lots to see and do, and your descriptions and photos are marvelous.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg

Have you been to Fredericksburg?

Latest Activity in Fredericksburg