"Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq." Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth by VeronicaG
Fort Worth Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 1,917 photos
October-November 2009 The Fort Worth Historical Society presented The Saints and Sinners Tour at the Oakwood Cemetery in October. We met some colorful characters as historical tidbits were shared from the lives of people who now call the cemetery their home.
Also, a Fort Worth art gallery featured an artist who has roots in the Impressionist movement, Alexandre Renoir--See Things to Do tip for both new tips.
March 2009--It's ART & LOVE in Renaissance Italy at the Kimbell Art Museum. Another magnificent exhibit, running from March 15-June 14, 2009. See two new and one updated Things to Do tips.
September '08 brought the first big Texas vt meet to Ft. Worth. Approximately 20 people came to say "hi" on Friday and Saturday. Although my memory card somehow got erased, a few pics were generously given to me to use in this travel page. Please check out my new restaurant and shopping tips.
First Friday at the Modern is a monthly happening open to the public featuring live music and art. My husband and I find it a very appealing gathering and look forward to it each month.
The Fort Worth Gallery Walk, a widely anticipated event is held twice a year in this welcoming city. The Fort Worth Art Dealers Association offered a diverse and wonderful group of artists, whose works range from ultra contemporary to traditional.
Earlier in 2008 we had a wonderful time searching for the flighty beauties featured at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden's exhibit, Butterflies in the Garden. See my photo album for more on this....
One of the first things we did as new transplants to Texas, was try to absorb the length and breadth of Cowboy Country...which means we drove to Ft. Worth for a weekend of total immersion. This wonderful Western town is located in the PRAIRIE AND LAKES region of Texas.
Our first Old West experience was THE CATTLEDRIVE at the Stockyards! We wanted to witness this tradition firsthand. As many of us gathered at Exchange Avenue on an already hot Texas morning, we were happily rewarded as the drive began promptly at 11:30 am. (repeated around 4pm).
Cowboys on horses herded the Longhorn Steers out of their pens, coaxing them down the street towards those lining the sidewalks expressly to see the promenade. What a great photo opportunity--the cattle who were used to their daily routine were well behaved and so were the spectators.
Being uncertain which direction to explore first, we opted for an escorted walking tour, which can be arranged at the Stockyards Visitor Center. It's located on Exchange Avenue, along the route of the Cattle Drive.
Exchange Avenue is part of the old stockyard area and includes many historic buildings, hotel, saloon, gift and souvenir shops ,restaurants and a museum or two. It's a perfect place to begin delving into the history of Ft. Worth. As we scheduled more visits to Ft. Worth, the city began revealing its treasures to us.
The Ft. Worth Zoo is a sure child pleaser. It's touted as being on the same par with the San Diego Zoo. I'm not so sure this comparison is accurate, but it did have lovely shaded pathways, tidy grounds and pretty landscaping.
The Coliseum hosts bronco bustin' rodeos each weekend. We LOVED the spectacle and sheer drama of this event. I think I could easily become a rodeo groupie!
Since we live fairly close to this friendly Western town, we expect to visit frequently. Please stop by every so often to see this page develop.
The Fairmount Historic district runs between Magnolia to Jessamine and 8th Avenue to Helphill streets in Ft. Worth. Each... more travel advice
The Fort Worth Historical Society's Saints and Dinners Tour introduced us to some of the city's colorful characters of... more travel advice
- See All Get Your Authentic Dr. Pepper Here!
- See All The Texas Civil War Museum
- Pack Lots of Post Card Stamps!
- See All The Haltom Clock
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Fort Worth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Fort Worth"
- "FORT WORTH"
- "Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq."
- "Sweetberry's Ft. Worth Page"
- "The Real Texas"
- "Texas Cow Town"
- "Dallas-Fort Worth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Worth
- Hotels in Fort Worth
- Transportation in Fort Worth
- Nightlife in Fort Worth
- Restaurants in Fort Worth
- Shopping in Fort Worth
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Worth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Worth
- 79 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Fort Worth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Worth
- updated a Fort Worth Travel Page "Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq."
- Wrote a Review Fairmount Historic District in Fort Worth Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fairmount Historic District"
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- Commented on one of cnango's Fort Worth travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue