"Ft. Worth--Historic Stockyards, Art & Sundance Sq." Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth by VeronicaG

Fort Worth Travel Guide: 896 reviews and 1,888 photos

COW TOWN, USA

October-November 2009 The Fort Worth Historical Society presented The Saints and Sinners Tour at the Oakwood Cemetery in October. We met some colorful characters as historical tidbits were shared from the lives of people who now call the cemetery their home.

Also, a Fort Worth art gallery featured an artist who has roots in the Impressionist movement, Alexandre Renoir--See Things to Do tip for both new tips.

March 2009--It's ART & LOVE in Renaissance Italy at the Kimbell Art Museum. Another magnificent exhibit, running from March 15-June 14, 2009. See two new and one updated Things to Do tips.

September '08 brought the first big Texas vt meet to Ft. Worth. Approximately 20 people came to say "hi" on Friday and Saturday. Although my memory card somehow got erased, a few pics were generously given to me to use in this travel page. Please check out my new restaurant and shopping tips.

First Friday at the Modern is a monthly happening open to the public featuring live music and art. My husband and I find it a very appealing gathering and look forward to it each month.

The Fort Worth Gallery Walk, a widely anticipated event is held twice a year in this welcoming city. The Fort Worth Art Dealers Association offered a diverse and wonderful group of artists, whose works range from ultra contemporary to traditional.

***********************************************

Earlier in 2008 we had a wonderful time searching for the flighty beauties featured at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden's exhibit, Butterflies in the Garden. See my photo album for more on this....

One of the first things we did as new transplants to Texas, was try to absorb the length and breadth of Cowboy Country...which means we drove to Ft. Worth for a weekend of total immersion. This wonderful Western town is located in the PRAIRIE AND LAKES region of Texas.

Our first Old West experience was THE CATTLEDRIVE at the Stockyards! We wanted to witness this tradition firsthand. As many of us gathered at Exchange Avenue on an already hot Texas morning, we were happily rewarded as the drive began promptly at 11:30 am. (repeated around 4pm).

Cowboys on horses herded the Longhorn Steers out of their pens, coaxing them down the street towards those lining the sidewalks expressly to see the promenade. What a great photo opportunity--the cattle who were used to their daily routine were well behaved and so were the spectators.

Being uncertain which direction to explore first, we opted for an escorted walking tour, which can be arranged at the Stockyards Visitor Center. It's located on Exchange Avenue, along the route of the Cattle Drive.

Exchange Avenue is part of the old stockyard area and includes many historic buildings, hotel, saloon, gift and souvenir shops ,restaurants and a museum or two. It's a perfect place to begin delving into the history of Ft. Worth. As we scheduled more visits to Ft. Worth, the city began revealing its treasures to us.

The Ft. Worth Zoo is a sure child pleaser. It's touted as being on the same par with the San Diego Zoo. I'm not so sure this comparison is accurate, but it did have lovely shaded pathways, tidy grounds and pretty landscaping.

The Coliseum hosts bronco bustin' rodeos each weekend. We LOVED the spectacle and sheer drama of this event. I think I could easily become a rodeo groupie!

Since we live fairly close to this friendly Western town, we expect to visit frequently. Please stop by every so often to see this page develop.

FORT WORTH BOTANICAL GARDENS

BASS PERFORMANCE HALL

• Last visit to Fort Worth: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2011

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Wonderful additions to your Fort Worth page. Gosh, Fort Worth is wonderful and there is always something to see and do there. Nice additions!

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Haltom's Jewelry store Clock is what every established Jewlery?watch shop should emulate in every major Ciyt's downtown and heritage areas ;-)))

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 8:50 AM

My daughter is very active in airshows. For the past 4 years, she had been meeting with the pilots of the Blue Angels!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Me again, checking back to look at some of the updates and new tips that you have added to this page in the past two years. I've been to Houston and San Antonio, but never made it to Fort Worth. Looks like a quintessential wild-west kind of place.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Ron Muek pieces are TOO COOL!! I love that type of sculpture. There was a RI artist that did them about 4' tall, but haven't seen them in a long time. Thanks for the tip.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 7:28 AM

Glad you like my little Ft. Worth page. You have written fantastic tips on Ft. Worth-restaurants!!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Great page Veronica, I may have resisted the Candy Barrel but I bet I wouldn't have made it out of that chocolate store without a bag :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Great new tips, Veronica! Your descriptions of the restaurants and new places you visited made them sound pretty appealing!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 4:12 AM

Very nice additions to your Fort Worth page. Sorry I couldn't make it to the VT meet.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 1:51 PM

Good information.... is Grapevine the site of our next (smaller) meet?

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Fort Worth

Have you been to Fort Worth?