"Ennis, Texas--A Proud Heritage" Ennis by VeronicaG
Ennis Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 95 photos
Rediscovering My Childhood
Ennis, Texas was named after a former mayor of Houston and railroad millionaire, Cornelius Ennis, in 1872. It's located along the Texas Bluebonnet Trail and is about 25 miles or a 30 minute drive from Dallas. During the "Wild West Era" it welcomed ten passenger trains a day.
Ennis has a proud Czech heritage and celebrates this distinction with an annual Polka Festival. We traveled there on Memorial Day weekend to rediscover a childhood joy, so to speak.
Many cherished memories are of family weddings on my mother's side of the family who were Polish. The old folk seemed to come alive during these special events! I remember whirling around the floor with uncles and cousins to the cheerful tunes of accordion music and laughter. Can those vivid memories be recaptured?
OH,YES--why are these people so happy? They're smiling because it's just so darn much fun!
After parking the car near the visitor's center, we came to a small site marked 'Pierce Park'where a memorial stood for... more travel advice
While in the historic district we inquired as to the best place to eat dinner later in the day. Don Joses Mexican... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Ennis Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ennis
- Transportation in Ennis
- Nightlife in Ennis
- Restaurants in Ennis
- Shopping in Ennis
- Warnings and Dangers in Ennis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ennis
- 16 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Ennis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ennis
Photos in EnnisSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue