"Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas by VeronicaG
Dallas Travel Guide: 1,347 reviews and 2,481 photos
UPDATE: June, 2010
Dallas has some interesting historic neighborhoods and last weekend we explored two of them: the Munger district and the Swiss Avenue district. See my new things to do tips.
March, 2009 The Dallas Arboretum is featuring DALLAS BLOOMS, an annual floral fest continuing until mid-April. In light of this ongoing show, I have added a travelogue, moved former tips related to this flowery fantasy to top of my THINGS TO DO and updated info.
October 2008 Egypt has come to Texas in the form of the "Tutankhamum and The Golden Age of the Pharaohs" Exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, October 3, 2008-May 17, 2009.
Dramatically lit to highlight fascinating archaeological delights discovered in the past 100 years or more, it brings new pieces for display to the United States. New restaurant tip from the museum's heralded restaurant, Seventeen, Seventeen.
June--2008 This past weekend my husband and I made our way to Dallas' arts district where we attended The City Arts Celebration. It was a broiling Texas weekend! Painters, potters and jewelry makers displayed their wares for consideration, while 'art cars' made their contribution to culture. See my latest CUSTOMS TIP.
February--2008 We recently took a free 40 minute tour of The Meyerson Symphony Center. A docent took us behind the scenes of this magnificent structure, said to be one of the finest concert halls in the country.
My husband and I enthusiastically purchased tickets to hear the symphony perform at a matinee the next day, where we heard the introduction to Mozart's The Magic Flute, DeBussy's Le Mer and Ravel's Bolero. The concert was wonderful! See my latest THINGS TO DO tips...
October-- 2007: THE TEXAS STATE FAIR.. I can finally say that we've become acquainted with TEX, who is the Official Ambassador for the Fair. This 52 foot cowboy is 55 years old this year. For more on this, look further...
We toured Dallas Heritage Village, a living history museum, one weekend when Blue Bell ice cream was celebrating their 100th year in business. We enjoyed our free ice cream and viewing restorations like an 1860's farmstead and the 1901 Blum home which were open to visitors. Would you like to hear more about this?
Texas was experiencing Spring-like weather when we flew in from the Northeast in mid-January of 2006.
As our plane descended, we glimpsed vast parcels of unoccupied land; most of it in muted shades of beige, brown and gray due to lack of moisture. Texas had not had rain since August; everything was so dry that brush fires had ravaged the terrain in several areas.
Contrast that with this year (2007). We've had an abundance of rain and flooding--our yards never looked greener!
Texas is as big, bold and friendly as you've heard. It's quite a contrast to New Jersey, which is a very congested state. Texas has space to spread out in and many families from the Northeast have settled there because of corporate moves. It is located in the PRAIRIE AND LAKES region of Texas.
- Pros:Friendly people; historic sites; moderate real estate prices; no state tax
- Cons:Traffic; rising property taxes; summer heat
- In a nutshell:Not just cowboy boots and you'alls!!
The Swiss Avenue district was always a location where the refined of Dallas resided. Stretching to include over 200... more travel advice
If you enjoy visiting art galleries or studios where the unique piece of glass art can be found, you might want to visit... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Dallas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Dallas"
- "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- "1997 Convention to 2006 Frisco grandchildren visit"
- "Goin' through the Big D and I mean Dallas!"
- "Dallas Texas"
- "Sweetberry's Dallas Page"
- "btex's Dallas Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dallas
- Hotels in Dallas
- Transportation in Dallas
- Nightlife in Dallas
- Restaurants in Dallas
- Shopping in Dallas
- Warnings and Dangers in Dallas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dallas
- 67 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Dallas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dallas
- updated a Dallas Travel Page "Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!"
- Wrote a Review The Historic District of Swiss Avenue in Dallas Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Historic District of Swiss Avenue"
- Posted in Travel Chile Forum "Re: Family in Chile"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Dallas travel pages
Photos in DallasSee All Photos (182)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue