"Dallas,Texas--Big, Bold and Friendly!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas by VeronicaG

Dallas Travel Guide: 1,351 reviews and 2,492 photos

A Sophisticated and Cultural City

UPDATE: June, 2010
Dallas has some interesting historic neighborhoods and last weekend we explored two of them: the Munger district and the Swiss Avenue district. See my new things to do tips.

March, 2009 The Dallas Arboretum is featuring DALLAS BLOOMS, an annual floral fest continuing until mid-April. In light of this ongoing show, I have added a travelogue, moved former tips related to this flowery fantasy to top of my THINGS TO DO and updated info.

October 2008 Egypt has come to Texas in the form of the "Tutankhamum and The Golden Age of the Pharaohs" Exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, October 3, 2008-May 17, 2009.

Dramatically lit to highlight fascinating archaeological delights discovered in the past 100 years or more, it brings new pieces for display to the United States. New restaurant tip from the museum's heralded restaurant, Seventeen, Seventeen.

June--2008 This past weekend my husband and I made our way to Dallas' arts district where we attended The City Arts Celebration. It was a broiling Texas weekend! Painters, potters and jewelry makers displayed their wares for consideration, while 'art cars' made their contribution to culture. See my latest CUSTOMS TIP.

February--2008 We recently took a free 40 minute tour of The Meyerson Symphony Center. A docent took us behind the scenes of this magnificent structure, said to be one of the finest concert halls in the country.

My husband and I enthusiastically purchased tickets to hear the symphony perform at a matinee the next day, where we heard the introduction to Mozart's The Magic Flute, DeBussy's Le Mer and Ravel's Bolero. The concert was wonderful! See my latest THINGS TO DO tips...

October-- 2007: THE TEXAS STATE FAIR.. I can finally say that we've become acquainted with TEX, who is the Official Ambassador for the Fair. This 52 foot cowboy is 55 years old this year. For more on this, look further...

We toured Dallas Heritage Village, a living history museum, one weekend when Blue Bell ice cream was celebrating their 100th year in business. We enjoyed our free ice cream and viewing restorations like an 1860's farmstead and the 1901 Blum home which were open to visitors. Would you like to hear more about this?

***********************************************************
Texas was experiencing Spring-like weather when we flew in from the Northeast in mid-January of 2006.

As our plane descended, we glimpsed vast parcels of unoccupied land; most of it in muted shades of beige, brown and gray due to lack of moisture. Texas had not had rain since August; everything was so dry that brush fires had ravaged the terrain in several areas.

Contrast that with this year (2007). We've had an abundance of rain and flooding--our yards never looked greener!

Texas is as big, bold and friendly as you've heard. It's quite a contrast to New Jersey, which is a very congested state. Texas has space to spread out in and many families from the Northeast have settled there because of corporate moves. It is located in the PRAIRIE AND LAKES region of Texas.

• Pros:Friendly people; historic sites; moderate real estate prices; no state tax
  • Cons:Traffic; rising property taxes; summer heat
  • In a nutshell:Not just cowboy boots and you'alls!!
  • Last visit to Dallas: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2011

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 5:20 AM

of course i will vsit again, did not even find JR's old haunts ;-)))

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2009 at 11:40 PM

I have really enjoyed learning about Dallas. What are the dates for the State Fair. We hope to visit at the end of Oct 2010.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I visited your pages to have a look at the gardens, and found more! Love those heritage villages as well, and that looks a good one. Toowoomba, near where I live is a garden city too.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Me again, coming back to look at the updates and new tips that you have added here since March 12, 2008. Also I've just had a look at your beautiful new travelogue with all those blooming trees and flowers. (Ours are now blooming, too -- finally!)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Very pretty pictures and nice updates on your Dallas page. Springtime in Texas is magical.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Ahhhh...springtime and an arboretum !! Perfect. All looks wonderful to me. I'm starting to clean out gardens and watching little things pop through the soil. Thanks for the blossomy pictures.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM

We like bringing the kids to arboretums ...any green park they like...but this one in Dallas would be nice! And yes, Dallas always reminds me of JFK and Dynasty... Parkland Hospital is also famous for its burn units...and I love Medieval Times!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Nice updates were a great reason to revisit this page and reconfirms why I'd love to visit Dallas one day!!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for your wonderful page, Veronica !

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Great info. what a wonderful way to honour JFK!

VeronicaG