"The Only Natural Lake in Texas--Caddo Lake" Caddo Lake State Park by VeronicaG
Caddo Lake State Park Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 74 photos
Gauzy sheets of silvery moss create a pretty picture as they hang from Cyprus trees over Big Cypress Bayou, which is tucked inside Caddo Lake State Park. Here you'll find camping, boat launch, boat rentals, picnic tables, trails and scenery to breathe in and enjoy!
On the day we visited the park, there were only a handful of us here--that is until a busload of Boy Scouts added their excited shouts to the mix.
The Caddo Indians inhabited the area around this lake a long time ago. In fact, their legend tells of a time when their men went hunting only to return to find their village had disappeared beneath the still waters.
The lake was dammed in the early part of the 20th century when oil was discovered, but it was also necessary to help with flooding. Eventually a new dam was constructed in 1971. The park is a popular place for fishing and for appreciating nature!
It's believed that log jams plugging the Red River caused floodwaters to back up to Caddo Bayou, creating the picturesque lake we see today.
Caddo Lake State Park has been set apart as a Wetlands of International Importance. Is it any wonder that a multitude of... more travel advice
Our family has a love of history and it often influences where we travel, so it was interesting to learn about the... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Caddo Lake State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Only Natural Lake in Texas--Caddo Lake"
- "Caddo Lake!"
- "Keeweechic's Caddo Lake"
- "Beautiful Scenery!"
- "Caddo Lake State Park in the fall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caddo Lake State Park
- Hotels in Caddo Lake State Park
- Transportation in Caddo Lake State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Caddo Lake State Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- South America
- Frankfurt am Main
- Nandi Hotels
- Ensenada Hotels
- Kampung Teluk Kemang Hotels
- Acadia National Park Hotels
- Los Charamicos Hotels
- Ambu Island Hotels
- Muddus Nationalpark
- Estado de Baja California Norte
Badges & Stats in Caddo Lake State Park
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Caddo Lake State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caddo Lake State Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue