"Exuding Charm and Historic Residences-Charleston" Charleston by VeronicaG
Charleston Travel Guide: 801 reviews and 1,760 photos
Originally called Charles Town* in 1670, it was moved to its present location 1680. Referred to as 'The Holy City' due to all of the churches established within, Charleston is the oldest city in South Carolina and sits where the two rivers, the Ashley and the Cooper meet.
Voted 'most polite/best mannered city' for many years consecutively, Charleston lives up to this apt description! We found the people to be very gracious!
Being a Southern city, it might be good to mention that while it was still hot in early September, the overbearing humidity had departed. However, you will enjoy every minute of your visit no matter when you travel here!
Between Charleston's Museum Mile, The Market (where domestics shopped in the city's early days), elegant historic homes and plantations for tour and beautiful, steepled churches to admire, and of course, Fort Sumter, your days will fill up quickly! We booked both a walking tour of the historic area and the Gullah Tour--both of these tours are described in my tips section.
Charleston is truly alluring and one might be tempted to visit again and again, for there is so much to commend it.
*named after King Charles II of England
Pirates, Presidents and 300 years of history--that's what you'll learn about at the Old Exchange, included in an area of... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Charleston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charleston, SC"
- "Welcome to Charleston SC"
- "charleston, south carolina"
- "The Definitive Guide to Charleston, SC"
- "Queen of the South"
- "The City of Southern Charm, Charleston"
- "Lovely Charleston"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charleston
- Hotels in Charleston
- Transportation in Charleston
- Nightlife in Charleston
- Restaurants in Charleston
- Shopping in Charleston
- Warnings and Dangers in Charleston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charleston
- 22 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Charleston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charleston
Photos in CharlestonSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue