"Volant, Pennsylvania-Old Gristmill & Amish Country" Volant by VeronicaG
Volant Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos
While living in Pennsylvania I found my way to the small town of Volant many times.
The town welcomes hundreds of tourists each year to its quaint shops and country charm. My favorite means of reaching this former gristmill village is to take I-79 North to Zelienople, then continue up Rt.19.
This highway threads up hills and down through fertile farmland and woodsey areas. Fall is an extremely scenic time of year to make this short trek beyond Pittsburgh and into the verdant hills of Pennsylvania.
Volant has become a 'country, antique and specialty shop' destination. When you add the Amish culture to the mix, it is downright intriguing! Horse-drawn buggies ply the roadways, small stalls offering homemade breads, pastries or preserves, handcrafted furniture and barn raisings are common sights in this part of the country.
The town, located between Pittsburgh and Erie, was founded in 1893. After the gristmill closed in the 1970's, Volant began to fade. It experienced a revival in the 1980's when several businessmen brought their talents together to restore this western Pennsylvania town.
If you have a sweet tooth and LOVE fudge, Attic Treasures has a number of delicious choices. I asked for a sample taste... more travel advice
As we traveled the side roads of western Pennsylvania between Volant and New Wilmington, we couldn't help but notice the... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Volant Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Volant, Pennsylvania-Old Gristmill & Amish Country"
- "windoweb's new Volant Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Volant
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Volant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Volant
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue