"Volant, Pennsylvania-Old Gristmill & Amish Country" Volant by VeronicaG

Volant Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos

A Town With Country Style

While living in Pennsylvania I found my way to the small town of Volant many times.

The town welcomes hundreds of tourists each year to its quaint shops and country charm. My favorite means of reaching this former gristmill village is to take I-79 North to Zelienople, then continue up Rt.19.

This highway threads up hills and down through fertile farmland and woodsey areas. Fall is an extremely scenic time of year to make this short trek beyond Pittsburgh and into the verdant hills of Pennsylvania.

Volant has become a 'country, antique and specialty shop' destination. When you add the Amish culture to the mix, it is downright intriguing! Horse-drawn buggies ply the roadways, small stalls offering homemade breads, pastries or preserves, handcrafted furniture and barn raisings are common sights in this part of the country.

The town, located between Pittsburgh and Erie, was founded in 1893. After the gristmill closed in the 1970's, Volant began to fade. It experienced a revival in the 1980's when several businessmen brought their talents together to restore this western Pennsylvania town.

The Gristmill--Side View

Amish Country

• Last visit to Volant: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2008

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

I see you too have a sweet tooth for fudge :) enjoyed your local customs on the Amish people and admire your respect of no photography

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 3:19 PM

These pages remind me of the Amish towns my friend Jill and I visited in Ohio. Your tips are quite informative, interesting, and bring back great trips I've experience. Excellent.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Yum, more Amish baked goods! And fudge! Interesting information about the Amish.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM

very nice page. i really like rural pennsylvania.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Charming country town. I'm sure I'd enjoy it. We loved Amish country when we stayed a few yrs. ago. Wonder if all the farms will convert to wineries??

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM

Veronica, what a great page! I just love visiting the Amish Country, the farms, the food, the scenery!! I look forward to next Spring when Volleyball will take us back to many small Pennsylvania towns! Sylvia

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 12:12 PM

What a great place to shop for gifts. I am sure you had a wonderful visit back in Volant. Enjoyed your new page.

VeronicaG