"STRASBURG--Home of the Strasburg Railroad Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Strasburg by VeronicaG

Strasburg Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 72 photos

The Strasburg Train museum

Ride a real steam engine through the countryside of Pennsylvania for 45 minutes. Tour a museum with engines, traincars, historical photos and displays from the age of the locomotives. This is a great place to visit and will appeal to any age!

A SPECIAL DAY WITH THOMAS

A Day with Thomas the Tank Engine is an event that most young children will absolutely LOVE! We went in September and were warned to arrive early. The highway leading to the Railroad Museum becomes congested as the time nears to board the train and the parking lot fills up quickly, so it is a good idea to arrive early for both reasons mentioned.

Excitement fills the air as the children and their families prepare to board the train. It is an atmosphere filled with laughter and joy as Thomas steams to the station. We would recommend this experience to anyone with small children.

The cost for this is $20.75 for ages 3 and up; $16.00 for ages 2 and up and free for children under 2. There is a great gift shop, storytelling and an opportunity to meet Sir Topham Hatt. Who could ask for anything more?

For more info. go to the website:www.strasburgrailroad.com.
The phone number is 717-687-7522. It is located on Rt.741 East of Strasburg, Lancaster County, Penna.

Steam train on the run!

A delightful ride in the country--all aboard!

• Pros:Lots of fun; Tons of Trains; Child's Delight
  • In a nutshell:The railroad age revisited!
  • Last visit to Strasburg: Sep 2000
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2006

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Hi Veronica :) working with small children I do love the steam trains of which they have little understanding :) but they all know Thomas the Tank!

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Great read on Amish cultur! - Hope the other PA pics are saved too?

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 4:29 PM

My family used to visit Strasburg when I was little, we loved the train ride! Every visit was topped with a visit to the creamery, I can smell the waffle cones in the waffle irons! Hehe! Thanks for bringing back some memories!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 5:39 PM

Strasburg seems like a grand spot to go with children, especially Thomas. The train ride would be so wonderful. Great writing and photographs. You know I love the Amish country.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 3:51 PM

I always like these museum railroads with steam locomotives. There's a great one in England called the Severn Valley Railway, where VT member Galahad works as a volunteer. (I used to take groups over there in the summers.)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 6:33 AM

This was a nostalgic page for me. I saw the Strasburg train steaming along when I lived in PA, back in the 1970s. Wish I had taken a ride on it. And it's been a LONG time since I saw penny candy.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 5:11 AM

Jack, my little neighbour boy, would absolutely love to see Thomas the Tank Engine. He's crazy about him. I would enjoy the Strasburg Country Store for sure. Thanks for stopping by my Chicago page. That was a fun, but very hot weekend.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 6:40 AM

MMMm homemade ice cream and a locomotive too! I'm there. Seriously...we really enjoyed Amish country in PA. last summer. Glad you had fun as well.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 1:55 AM

What a fun outing. Homemede ice cream Yummmm

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 3:57 AM

Very intersting page about my birth town's namesake (Strasbourg), and we have a rail museum too (in a suburb) but no Amishes

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Strasburg

Have you been to Strasburg?

Latest Activity in Strasburg