"PHILADELPHIA--Brotherly Love And More" Top 5 Page for this destination Philadelphia by VeronicaG

Philadelphia Travel Guide: 2,098 reviews and 4,072 photos

PHILADELPHIA--Historic &Family Friendly

Philadelphia is a spectacular city to visit! It is welcoming and loaded with history! We live closer to New York City, but it's Philadephia we prefer.

A marvelous Spring Flower Show is presented at the Convention Center. If you are anywhere near Philadelphia at that time, drop everything and GO! A week day is the best time to drop in because weekend attendance is staggering! Various businesses and organizations outdo themselves every year creating magnificent landscapes. Awards are given for their efforts. A Garden Tea is served twice daily. See THINGS TO DO for more info.

There is a website www.gophila.com that offers a special rate at MANY hotels--two nights for the price of one at certain times of the year. We've taken advantage of this offer during the flower show, touring many historic attractions while we were there.

Many museums and cultural exhibits punctuate the city of Philadelphia. Our favorite is the Franklin Institute where we experienced the TITANIC exhibit a couple of years ago. The USS Becuna and the Olympia would be a hit with the kids! Of course, the Art Museum is a worthy consideration, as well.

Independence Hall is the most important stop you could make while in Philadelphia. Learn about the founding fathers and what it took to produce one of history's greatest documents!

Reading Terminal (12th & Arch St.) is within walking distance of the convention center. It is a collection of delis, food booths, bakeries, farm produce offered under one roof. You'll find fresh fruits and vegetables and home made edibles. I found some tiny decorated sugar cubes here that were a hit at a tea I gave for friends.

The Mummer's Parade is a New Year's Day spectacular featuring string banjo's, gaudy costumes and friendly crowds. I attended my first Mummer's Parade this year (January 2006) and loved the visual feast!

See my THINGS TO DO tips for more photos and ideas for visiting Philly.
Also, for Philadelphia events look into: events@centercityphila.org.

• Pros:Cultural attractions; friendly people; history everywhere!
  • In a nutshell:I prefer it to New York City!
  • Last visit to Philadelphia: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 1:33 PM

All these historical sites sound so familiar -- not because I've ever seen them, but because we learned all about them in grade school. I've been meaning to read up on B. Franklin, especially because of his role as ambassador to France in crucial times.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Philadelphia has so much to offer. Lucky to have had DuPont. I found the city thoroughly pleasant and easy to move through. Thanks for filling in some info I missed. Maybe next time.

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Hi Veronica, thanx for the visit to my Barcelona page - it's such a great city. Speaking of great cities, guess where I am now? (hint hint) :-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 7:59 PM

I am impressed! Fantastic page full of interesting info on tenths of places to visit, Made with passion! I definetely have to visit Phili for many reasons, I see.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Veronica, nice pages will help when we visit in June, you love flowers, so do we especially orchids, see my Chiang Mai page for the most fantastic Flower Festival. Thank you.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 9:01 PM

Philadelphia is so close to Baltimore and yet I have only been there a few times. I am planning on going to the Mummers Parade for New Years this year.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 10:23 AM

You have a great ability to engage the reader with your above par narratives. Philadelphia has so much to offer,and you cover it well. Comprehensive, colorful, candid, enthusiastic, and infused with intelligent insights.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 4:50 PM

my sisters visit and raves is confirmed by your info ; must visit soon, and get to the cheese factory ;-)))

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 9:29 PM

Well Veronica I am impressed ,you do your homework when you build pages that is for sure . Your information is excellent you do write about what you see in your page without getting too boring So I say this is very good Veronica

• May 27, 2006 at 7:22 AM

Hi Veronica, Thank you for stopping over in Pretoria. Yes, I loved the restaurants in that part of the world! I enjoyed your Philadelphia Pages. Especially the Musical fountains and the little escort!:~))

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Philadelphia

Have you been to Philadelphia?

Latest Activity in Philadelphia