"Traveling Through Mercer County" Mercer by VeronicaG

Mercer Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 12 photos

The Pennsylvania Countryside

As Mom and I traversed the back roads of Pennsylvania on our "girls getaway" weekend this Fall, we visited several small towns in Mercer County along the way.

Mercer County has a population of over 120,000. Its county seat in Mercer, Pennsylvania is home to approximately 3,000 people. This small town is dominated by a picturesque courthouse.

Some of Mercer's tidy little shops enticed us in, but it seemed that many of the buildings housed businesses rather than shopping opportunities. Before departing, we drifted from street to street admiring some of the town's lovely homes.

As we meandered from New Wilmington to Mercer, we passed fertile farmland and forested hills. Punctuating our route were signs cautioning drivers to watch for Amish horse and buggies sharing the roadway. We were fortunate to glimpse one on our journey.

Although I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, I can't overstate the beauty of the countryside. Most people are acquainted with our turnpike--a busy roadway churning with semi-trucks, buses and vacationers. Our pastoral country roads,however, are a delight to travel!

Rolling Hills and Farmland

The Amish

• Last visit to Mercer: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 22, 2008

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM

What a lovely place. Reminds me of the Amish country in Ohio. That courthouse is terrific. I love court houses. I love that you shared all this beauty & history with your Mom.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM

You're right, this is an area I knew mainly from the turnpike, back in the days when I used to travel between Chicago and New York by Greyhound bus. Away from the turnpike it looks a lot nicer.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Nice to see the Amish way of life continues here and I see you caught some lovely Autumn colours too!!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Yum, Amish baked goods! We head out to Shipshewana in Indiana's Amish country and are always tempted to buy some. And usually we do!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 5:52 AM

Beautiful old courthouse and monument. The backroads look lovely.

VeronicaG