"A Harmonious Beginning--Harmony, Pennsylvania" Harmony by VeronicaG
Harmony Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 72 photos
Update: (November) I've added new Things to Do and Shopping Tips to my Harmony page.
When I lived in Pennsylvania, I loved roaming through the historic town of Harmony, browsing its antique shops, admiring its preserved homes and buildings and walking its unique square. It's not quite a 30 mile drive from Pittsburgh.
Harmony was founded by Germans in 1804, when religious leader Johann Georg Rapp brought his followers to this area. It was his intent to find a locale where the people could worship, farm and put forth Rapp's religious teachings, but there was one important condition--a celibate lifestyle was required.
The Harmonites lived in this area for ten years, before selling their property to Mennonites and moving to New Harmony, Indiana. They returned to Pennsylvania in 1924 and resettled in Economy. Each of these villages was successful and the Harmonites produced 'many goods in a clothing factory, a sawmill, a tannery, tended vineyards and ran a distillery'.
The Harmony Museum has preserved the life history of the Harmonites and is a worthwhile stop when visiting this small historic village. Even George Washington made an appearance in this area, but then you'll have to read my tips to learn more about that.
Otto and Gert's has real old fashioned appeal. Large glass jars filled with colorful candies, a vintage soda fountain... more travel advice
One of my favorite stops when traveling Rt. 19 beyond Harmony is the Olde Country House. It's exactly that...an old... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Harmony Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Harmonious Beginning--Harmony, Pennsylvania"
- "Harmony is pure love, for love is a concerto."
- "HARMONIST BEGINNINGS IN THE NEW WORLD"
- "Welcome to Harmony, PA!!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Harmony
- 15 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Harmony?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harmony
Photos in HarmonySee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue