"GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by VeronicaG

Gettysburg Travel Guide: 410 reviews and 913 photos

The Battlefield

UPDATES: New Tips in Things to Do, Restaurants, Off the Beaten Path and Nightlife categories.

THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty,and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conveived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we do this. But, in a larger sense we can not dedicate--we can not consecrate--we cannot hallow--this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.

The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
ABRAHAM LINCOLN, November 19, 1863

UPCOMING REENACTMENT: The 147th reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg is scheduled for July 2, 3 and 4, 2010. For more info. go to www.gettysburgreenactment.com for prices and activities.

• Pros:A wealth of history; a touching reminder
  • Last visit to Gettysburg: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I like visiting such historical places... Thanks for your wonderful story and pictures, Veronica...

• Aug 11, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Excellent tips a lot of information

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 5:58 AM

Excellent virtual tour of Gettsburg. I also found your restaurant reviews mouth watering.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Happy Birthday, Veronica. Thanks for the interesting tips on Gettysburg. You're right that Cycloramas were very popular in the 19th century, but most have long since disappeared. I'm glad to hear the one in Gettysburg is being restored.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for all the good tips on the Gettysburg National Military Park, You did a great guided tour.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM

I enjoyed reading your tips a lot. There is something special in such places especially for a foreign visitor. It looks quite different than in Europe. Great you had own guide, I need a Polish one :-)

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Fascinating account of a place I've yet to visit, but very much want to. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your comments on my Grand Canyon page. :)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 12:33 PM

This page is a fascinating history lesson! Thanks you so much!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Nice history lesson here = I have seen this portraid in many films = thaks for the realistic look at Gettysburg

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for the very comprehensive Gettysberg tips - I really must visit.

VeronicaG Visits Here Frequently!

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Gettysburg

Have you been to Gettysburg?

Latest Activity in Gettysburg