"GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by VeronicaG
Gettysburg Travel Guide: 410 reviews and 917 photos
UPDATES: New Tips in Things to Do, Restaurants, Off the Beaten Path and Nightlife categories.
THE GETTYSBURG ADDRESS
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty,and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great Civil War, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conveived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we do this. But, in a larger sense we can not dedicate--we can not consecrate--we cannot hallow--this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
ABRAHAM LINCOLN, November 19, 1863
UPCOMING REENACTMENT: The 147th reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg is scheduled for July 2, 3 and 4, 2010. For more info. go to www.gettysburgreenactment.com for prices and activities.
- Pros:A wealth of history; a touching reminder
As we drove along the back roads and throughout Gettysburg's military park, we came across hillsides filled with... more travel advice
We happened upon the Civil War Chapel minutes before leaving Gettysburg one Sunday morning. As we dashed into a little... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Gettysburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen"
- "My Family's Home"
- "~Gettysburg-The Town~"
- "Historical but Commercialized"
- "Gettysburg, history to discover"
- "Like my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg
- Hotels in Gettysburg
- Transportation in Gettysburg
- Nightlife in Gettysburg
- Restaurants in Gettysburg
- Shopping in Gettysburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gettysburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg
- 35 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Gettysburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue