"WEST POINT, NEW YORK--A Distinctive Academy" Top 5 Page for this destination West Point by VeronicaG
West Point Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 86 photos
The museum tells the history of West Point Military Academy and the people who have passed through its doors. A collection of military paraphenalia called "the oldest and largest diversified public collection of militaria in the Western Hemisphere" lies behind these doors. See www.usma.edu.museum/.
There are artifacts from the British defeat at Saratoga (1777) and collections showing the changes of warfare through the ages---two hundred years of military history. While the museum is opened to the public, the cadets use this facility for academic pursuits.
Famous figures who have attended the academy are U.S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, George S. Patton, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Norman Schwarzkopf to name a few.
The hours are Mon.-Sun. from 10:30 am-4:15 pm. See www.usma.edu/ for directions.
West Point overlooks the Hudson River. It's a stunning view from the Academy! This vantage point gives an unobstructed view of the Hudson River for miles.
Our favorite time to visit is in the Fall. The campus is gorgeous with the brilliant colors of autumn this time of year.... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
West Point Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WEST POINT, NEW YORK--A Distinctive Academy"
- "West Point Page"
- "US Military Academy @ West Point"
- "danmcf's West Point Page"
- "West Point"
- "West Point - fortress along the Hudson River NY"
- "United States Military Academy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Point
- Restaurants in West Point
- Warnings and Dangers in West Point
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Point
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to West Point?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Point
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue