"HYDE PARK--Springwood and the Vanderbilt Mansion" Hyde Park by VeronicaG
Hyde Park Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 92 photos
Springwood was the home of the only U.S. President to have been elected to four terms, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The estate comprises 300 acres of garden, meadows and woodlands. We visited this site on President's Day 2003 where it was packed with families eager to learn more about the Roosevelts.
For more information, call 845-229-9115.Springwood is located on Rt. 9 in Hyde Park--8 milesNorth of Poughkeepsie, NY. See www.nps.gov/hofr
There were many items of interest in President Roosevelt's library. Certain items captivated us, such as Franklin's automobile, Eleanor's suitcase plastered with travel stickers and depiction of President Roosevelt's office at the White House. Paintings of family members and notes from famous personages were part of this collection of memorabilia.
The Vanderbilt family became one of the richest families in America. This mansion belonged to Frederick William Vanderbilt and his wife,Louise. They bought the mansion located on the east bank of the Hudson River in 1895. Although Frederick had other homes in Bar Harbor, Newport and the Adirondacks, it is said Hyde Park was his favorite.
The home is elegantly furnished and fit for a King! The gardens are lovely! For information call 845-229-9115. See www.nps.gov/vama
- Pros:A historical bonanza!
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Hyde Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORY AND GHOSTS TOO"
- "Hyde Park"
- "Hyde Park -- the heart of the Hudson Valley"
- "Hyde Park, The Mansion Area"
- "Beautiful Hyde Park, NY"
- "Three good places to see in Hyde Park, NY"
- "We're ready for the Eveready...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyde Park
- Hotels in Hyde Park
- Transportation in Hyde Park
- Restaurants in Hyde Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hyde Park
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Hyde Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyde Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue