Shrewsbury Local Custom Tips by VeronicaG
Shrewsbury Local Customs: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Go Number 204!!--The Kid Run!
Each year for approximately ten years, the small borough of Shrewsbury has held a 5k race to benefit the local school. This is the main fund raising event of the year.
The event attracts over 300 local walkers and runners from all ages. Participants line up directly in front of the school itself and run like the wind when the race begins. The runners navigate along several streets, returning back to the school once again--the police kindly block traffic that day to allow for safety, of course.
The 'kid run' is especially popular! Our grandson participated in this race for several years, coming in first place or near the top each time. Classmates join in good-natured competition for a good cause; the event is a hometown hit!
The 5k usually begins at 9am with the kid dash following at 10:30 am. Trophys are given for different categories; ribbons awarded to the kids. It's a great time of fun and comraderie!
A Memorial Parade
I love a small town parade! A few years ago, when our grandson was living with us, we were active in the Boy Scouts. He was part of this colorful parade, which took place either on Memorial Day or Fourth of July.
A portion of the street was blocked off near the Shrewsbury Presbyterian Church. Those children who had participated in Scouts, paraded proudly in uniform to PATRIOT'S ISLE, cheered on by enthusiastic supporters lining the sidewalk.
Patriots Isle is a thin, grassy strip between two lanes of Sycamore Avenue and has been set apart to hold a monument and wreaths which honor those who have fallen in previous wars.
The kids have a great time and families turn out to salute the brave men and women who have given their lives for our country. Flags are carried and a solemn moment marks the event.
More Reviews (8)
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Shrewsbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Historic Four Corners of Shrewsbury"
- "Lived in Shrewsbury, NJ in the 60's"
- See All...
- Transportation in Shrewsbury
- Restaurants in Shrewsbury
- Shopping in Shrewsbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Shrewsbury
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pelican Island Hotels
- Malake Island Hotels
- Montego Bay
- Ko Chang
- Santa Fe Hotels
- Kandaghat Hotels
- Togher Hotels
Badges & Stats in Shrewsbury
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Shrewsbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shrewsbury
Photos in ShrewsburySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue