"The Historic Four Corners of Shrewsbury" Shrewsbury by VeronicaG
Shrewsbury Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos
Although Shrewsbury encompasses merely 2.3 square miles, it is rich in history. Its historic four corners were significant in the development of Monmouth County and was settled around 1665. The four corners includes an intersection of Broad Street (the former Kings Highway) and Sycamore Avenue (the former Indian Burlington Path). The town is thought to have been named after Shrewsbury in Shropshire County, England. (taken from Images of America-Shrewsbury by Arcadia Publishing).
On these four corners sit Christ Episcopal Church; Shrewsbury Presbyterian Church; The Quaker Meeting House and The Allen House. The Shrewsbury Historical Society sponsors a Lantern Tour to these buildings each December. Guides are clothed in period costumes and do a wonderful job of presenting the history of the borough.
Evening tours carry one back to the age of the Revolution, when royalists and patriots peopled this area of New Jersey. Guides carrying lanterns lead history seekers to each of the four buildings, where they are treated to an interesting and educational night.
Down the road from the four corners, The Grove offers shoppers a great selection of merchandise from stores such as Talbots, Pottery Barn, Chico's, Victoria's Secret, Country Curtains, Clarks, The Gap, Platypus, Banana Republic and others. Shrewsbury is a mix of the old and the upscale--it's a place I called home for eight years.
- Pros:A close community; family values;a blend of the old and new
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to live!
The town of Shrewsbury has historic charm and a lovely shopping area. THE GROVE is comprised of a collection of shops... more travel advice
Each year for approximately ten years, the small borough of Shrewsbury has held a 5k race to benefit the local school.... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Shrewsbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Historic Four Corners of Shrewsbury"
- "Lived in Shrewsbury, NJ in the 60's"
- See All...
- Transportation in Shrewsbury
- Restaurants in Shrewsbury
- Shopping in Shrewsbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Shrewsbury
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shrewsbury
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Shrewsbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shrewsbury
Photos in ShrewsburySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue