"The Antebellum Charm of Natchez, Mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez by VeronicaG

Natchez Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 373 photos

Spring in Natchez

For almost 300 years, Natchez has been welcoming visitors to its historic streets. Being the oldest town along the Mississippi River, it offers a charming collection of restored antebellum homes. Homes we toured recently at the Natchez Pilgrimage, an annual event which allows the public to see many of the town's architectural gems.

The last Native Americans to inhabit this prime southwestern stretch of the Mississippi River were the Natchez. Evidence of other ancient people can be seen in the immense mounds of earth created as burial grounds along the Natchez Trace, an early travelers route. These were constructed by the Moundbuilders. There was also a Spanish and British presence in the early development of the town.

When cotton was King, many of the town's citizens made a living from this form of trade--a very good living. The prominent in society built lavish homes filled with Italian marble, crystal and Sevres China.

There are many bed and breakfasts located throughout Natchez, each one more beautiful than the next. Some B&B's are former plantation homes, others are comfortable town homes--each offering something lovely to behold...antique furnishings, pleasant courtyards or colorful pasts.

• Last visit to Natchez: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2009

• Aug 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM

If you will check with the cemetery staff, I think you will find that those unknown confederates are instead unknown Union soldiers; the majority of whom were members of the United States Colored Troops.

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Fabulous tips, Veronica! Mark, Anna and I aren't going to get to spend the night here because I couldn't find a good place to stay that accepted children, but we'll drive through and stay in Jackson!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Wonderful page. I believe Sarah and I are headed there for Labor Day :)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I wanna go where the action is in Nachez! ha ha fist fights and bar rooms... the homes are absolutely elegant..one guide matches the dishware of the dining room! Love those Live Oaks.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 6:28 PM

You're a beter guest thAT I am, Veronica - I'd pass on the grits every time. We drove the Natchez Trace many years ago - nice memories for me here. leyle

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM

Veronica, I am always impressed by your pages, but I have to say this is now one of my favorites!! Once again, so beautifully written and such wonderful photos! I thoroughly enjoyed this page!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 9:10 AM

What a wonderful way to spend a few days. The houses are beautiful there. I never cared for grits either but did always enjoy the seafood jumbo.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 8:42 AM

I don't understand grits either but would love to try some of those pralines and gumbo! Would love to visit someday (and check Mississippi off my travel list!)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Fine tips on these attractive old homes. Your tip on "Amnesty and Pardons" reminds me of the de-nazification certificates that Germans had to get after WW2. Some people got them who shouldn't have.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Superior pages, Veronica. A trip I would love. The homes are incredible. Food looks and sounds divine [except for the grits, ugh] Your B&B..wow! Like the mounds, city cemetery, [lovely rose photo] Creative, educational, helpful.

VeronicaG

“Many cultures....one world”

Badges & Stats in Natchez

Have you been to Natchez?

Latest Activity in Natchez