"The Antebellum Charm of Natchez, Mississippi" Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez by VeronicaG
Natchez Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 373 photos
For almost 300 years, Natchez has been welcoming visitors to its historic streets. Being the oldest town along the Mississippi River, it offers a charming collection of restored antebellum homes. Homes we toured recently at the Natchez Pilgrimage, an annual event which allows the public to see many of the town's architectural gems.
The last Native Americans to inhabit this prime southwestern stretch of the Mississippi River were the Natchez. Evidence of other ancient people can be seen in the immense mounds of earth created as burial grounds along the Natchez Trace, an early travelers route. These were constructed by the Moundbuilders. There was also a Spanish and British presence in the early development of the town.
When cotton was King, many of the town's citizens made a living from this form of trade--a very good living. The prominent in society built lavish homes filled with Italian marble, crystal and Sevres China.
There are many bed and breakfasts located throughout Natchez, each one more beautiful than the next. Some B&B's are former plantation homes, others are comfortable town homes--each offering something lovely to behold...antique furnishings, pleasant courtyards or colorful pasts.
As we drove the Natchez Trace Parkway, we took the opportunity to learn a little more about this part of the country and... more travel advice
Although this document is not easily read, it states that the bearer has received amnesty for his participation in the... more travel advice
VeronicaG's Related Pages
Natchez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "natchez mississippi"
- "Natchez: Antebellum Jewel on the Mississippi"
- "The Antebellum Charm of Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Natchez, once the town of the rich"
- "Natchez, Mississippi"
- "Keeweechic's Natchez"
- "Historic Natchez, on the Mississippi River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Natchez
- Hotels in Natchez
- Transportation in Natchez
- Nightlife in Natchez
- Restaurants in Natchez
- Shopping in Natchez
- Warnings and Dangers in Natchez
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Natchez
- 26 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Natchez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Natchez
Photos in NatchezSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 79 reviews, 198 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chile Intro, 80 reviews, 153 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 61 reviews, 125 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 47 reviews, 138 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 59 reviews, 120 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 54 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 51 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 57 reviews, 103 photos
- Israel Intro, 41 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue